Pool Step Decorative Tile Repair

pcmacd

Oct 3, 2010
Maricopa County, AZ
I had to drain the water from my fiber-glassed, in ground ~15K gallon gunnite pool.

The glass and tiles in question are approximately 14 years old. The tiles are under water, and set flush into a recess in the glass in strips one tile high.

Inspection of about 50' of ~3/4" tile strips showed enormous grout damage. I'm pretty sure the contractor used a standard non-sanded grout to place the tiles, so I am surprised it lasted this long.

While cleaning out the joints for re-grouting, I found about 30 tiles that are loose from the mesh underneath that originally held them together and down to the surfrace. There is not lots of depth available underneath for a material to anchor them with; I was thinking perhaps of using a very thin coat of standard JB Weld or JB Waterweld.

I know the standard can be made thin enough; it is said to be "steel filled" and for "marine use." I have no experience with the waterweld product.

QUESTION ONE:

How would 'yall recommend seating these loose tiles before I re-grout?

QUESTION TWO:

I was advised to use an epoxy type grout for the repair, but after finding a box at Home Depot for about $25, was shocked to find that one had to mix the entire batch. They gave no hint as to "pot life."

Since the original grout lasted this long, I have no qualms about using a standard, non-sanded grout.

WOULD THIS BE A MISTAKE?

tanks.

WOULD THIS BE A MISTAKE?
Well, since it worked once, maybe it will work again. I don't know.

However (and I can tell you have good knowledge of tile installation), a key to successful tile installation is to put it down on an immovable, inert substrate.....usually a masonry product. Fiberglass does not give you quite that same stability hence the suggestion of a more flexible grout and mastic like epoxy.

Your call. I would probably do it myself (non-sanded grout) but you likely will not get a manufacturer to suggest it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.