pool still open in North East..can't get pH down

Apr 3, 2011
Collegeville, PA
Ok..so I realize I am at risk for sounding like a total pool idiot but here goes...we wanted to close our pool in October- new pool IG pebblesheen...the pool company came out to close it and said we had to have our SWG turned off for at least a month prior to closing and that our chemicals should remain in balance for 2 weeks without having to add anything.

So here we are entering December..our FC is non-existent- pool company said not to worry about chlorine at this point in time..only get the pH to 7.2-7.6. It keeps creeping up and we are still adding muriatic acid on a weekly basis. Will the pH ever come down and stay down without us having to add acid?

I'll add that we live in North East part of country and temps are at 40 degrees on average.

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

No matter what start-up procedure is used, your pool will consume a lot of acid during the first 6-12 months as the plaster finish continues to cure. It is important to test your pH daily and do not let it climb above 7.8. Be sure to continue to brush the pool at least weekly during this period.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

Re:Trying to close pool in North East..can't get pH down

I'd really like to close this pool..seeing as snow is melting in it right now! so...I guess I should just ask if pH is ever going to be stable enough for me to close it! What happens if I close it and it is still high?

Hi Kristina....what is your current TA level? A new plaster pool will be subject to PH rise, especially if you have High TA...please post a full set of test results and we'll get you headed in right direction (FC, PH, TA, CH, CYA).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.