3 Aquarites all low amps and voltage

Sti470

Sep 5, 2010
I have 3 generators that while producing (even though they aren't producing or if they are it is negligible) show 19.5 volts, 21.4 volts 21.4 volts and 3.89 amps, 3.94 amps and 3.94 amps. When not producing they have 26.5 volts, 27.3 volts and 27.8 volts. I know all these numbers are too low. I replaced one of the current limiters just to see if it would make a difference and it did not. The units are 7 years old. I have 2 sets of new cells to experiment with but nothing changes when I swap out cells. The salt content is 3200. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you

Thanks! I have checked the back of one of the boards and couldn't see anything that looked wrong. I did not check the fuse connections (in my mind it either works or doesn't, but I didn't think about an extra resistance issue). I will do that now. It really seems odd that all of these would have the same problem. I feel like I am missing something

I checked the back of 2 of the boards. One is the old style without the metal around the base of the current limiter. It was a little dark from heat. I changed out the limiter and that changed nothing. How voltage sensitive are these units? Mine are wired for 220. I have 114 - 110 on each leg measured to ground and 200 volts measured one leg to the other

The units could very well be working, yet still have low to zero FC in the pool water. Test FC in the evening and then again in the morning without running the SWCG. If the FC level drops more than 1 ppm you need to shock the pool.

Thanks dschlic1. I Have started thinking that I might have other water issues that started when the cells died before and my balance got off. The guy that installed the pool told me that the voltage and amps were too low and that they weren't producing, so that's why I posted the question. I have installed a backup generator and cell (both new) that I had on hand. The voltage for it is about the same and the amps are about 4.3 so, not really that much more than my other ones. It has a clear spot on the cell and I can see it producing although I don't know what kind of "cloud" a fully functioning cell creates. So, my only question left to figure out is if 200 to 208 volts is enough.

Should only affect the output by about 10%. The DC supply on these units is not regulated, so the output will vary as the input varies. It is looking more and more like a water quality issue. Bleach is cheap, so I suggest shocking the pool.

What is your water temperature? SWCG's don't produce very well as the temperature drops into the 50's (F scale). Since temperature and conductivity are directly proportional, there is less conductivity in cold water. So, it may be that the water is too cold to properly load the SWCG and function properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.