What WAS This Stuff? Carpet Algae? - Sorry, no pics

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
The first time I drained the pool was because no one could identify, let alone tell me how to treat, the most bizarre stuff I've seen in and body of water.

This was the "housewarming" gift from the mortgage company - under the 15.000 gallons of green there was a solid brown sponge-like covering about an inch thick coating the entire bottom. From time to time, it would release a chunk of itself which would float to the surface and dissipate after a few hours or days. My guess it was its reproduction scheme - send a colony to float downstream and expand itself.

I dumped the Leslie's suggested "Shock". which removed the green, and turned this stuff white. but did not break it up.

Here's where it got weird - as the water got below knee heights, I used a push broom to sweep the crud toward the drain. It actually rolled up like sod - and picked up the crushed stone which had gotten into the pool over the years.!

Anyone know of a life form which would roll up crushed limestone like that?

It's some kind of algae, there are thousands of strains. I've seen similar stuff before. If you can physically remove it through a leaf net etc. then you are saving money on chlorine. I figure if it's been sitting so long it is able to form a physical form that can be netting out then it's going to take a good amount of chlorine to break that solid mass down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.