CYA and Green Pool

Newie

Apr 22, 2012
I've been reading for hours, and I'm just barely starting to get a grasp on understanding some of the recommended techniques and advice - thank you to all who contribute and making this forum what it is! This site has been extremely eye-opening for me relative to the advice and information I've been given at the local pool store.

My current situation: we bought our home with the pool as a foreclosure almost one year ago. We have an IG gunite pool with an attached spill-over hot tub that I think was built in the mid to late eighties, and I have never managed a pool before. Prior to getting the keys when we purchased the home, the bank hired a pool service to get the pool back to clear, then it was up to me to keep it that way.

I struggled throughout the summer to keep it clear with a couple of minor bumps in the road, but was mainly relying on the pool store and the many products they sold to keep it up.

Last week we came home from a week long vacation to discover the pool was once again green. And after another bottle of algaecide, the pool is still green.

I purchased a Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit and have now made the commitment to manage the pool properly (I was going to start in the spring, but I can't handle any more frustration).

Anyway, my readings (approximately 13,250 gallons, sand filter, and up til now trichlor tabs):
FC - 3.4
CC or TC - 4
pH - 7.6
TA - 60
CH - 180
CYA - 90-95

My question is what is the recommended approach to deal with the green pool, the CYA level, and the fact we are going into winter and the swim season is over (the gas heater doesn't work so no hot tub either).

Any input is welcome, and thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I suggest covering it and waiting 'til Spring. Nothing can happen that you can't fix, it will give you time to digest more info and have a master plan in the Spring, and the dilution from rainwater (if any) will actually be helpful.

Do you need to winterize your pool? What city and state do you live in?

Winterize - I believe so... I live in Martinez, Ca (45 min east of San Francisco). Fairly mild climate, my biggest concern without knowing much regarding winterizing is to protect the solar as we do drop below freezing on occasion during winter. Haven't had the chance to read up on that yet - I'll do a search.
Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.