Feb 21, 2012
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Greetings from Nashville!

It is amazing to find so much information in one place. Thank you, everyone, for contributing your experiences and knowledge!

I know the pool I want, IG lap as big as my small yard and codes will allow. I am very close to choosing my builder.

SITUATION: the only access to my back yard is through a side fence, and thus my neighbors' driveway (rental property). So far the owner has been cooperative and the tenants have been cooperative (had to have a sewer line moved, so backhoe work.) I did gift baskets for them just for that day's favor.

I want to do a fabulous job of communicating with the owner and tenants before the process begins. I'd like to give them an idea of how many days the big trucks will be traveling through their driveway.

QUESTION #1:
Approximately how many "backhoe/big truck" days are involved in building a gunite IG pool? Pool size approx. 10' x 30', depth from 4'-6', Hydrazzo finish; about 600 sq. ft. brushed concrete covered with Sundeck, burying utilities in a new trench.

I am guessing 2 days dig (pool and utilities trench), 2 days materials delivery (rebar, plumbing, tile, etc.), 1 day gunite, 1 day pour decking, 1 day plaster, 1 day Hydrazzo, 1 day Sundeck = 9 days total. Am I close?

QUESTION #2:
One builder has estimated two months for build. Of course wet weather could interfere. Is two months realistic?

I look forward to hearing from you fellow water fanatics.

Dig is usually one day. My PB did wait and trench for plumbing after gunite but there may be other ways to do it such as the same day as the main excavation. No big trucks to bring steel or plumbing but if you need gravel, that is obviously a big truck but they can dump it in your driveway and wheelbarrow or bobcat it to the back. Gunite truck can stay out front and just run hose to back, plaster can likely do that too.
So excavation is the biggie but I've seen them use bobcats for this too, just depends on soil type.

I also had to use my neighbor's driveway for access to my yard.

We are close to the gulf coast so we have no natural rocks. The dig was done with a track loader taking the dirt to the street for the dump trucks.
They were done by noon the first day. At 1pm, the rebar crew shows up and parks their 1 ton truck and trailer on the neighbor's driveway to unload the rebar.

The plumbers parked on the street while I spent a few hours pressure washing and cleaning the neighbor's driveway.

The next day the gunite crew shows up. The giant trucks are parked at the street but still use the neighbor's yard for foot traffic and visual lines of communication between the hose operator and trucks.

The next day I repair the ruined sod on my neighbors side. Although it was only two days, he's been very kind about the inconvenience.

bpricedo said:
Dig is usually one day. My PB did wait and trench for plumbing after gunite but there may be other ways to do it such as the same day as the main excavation. No big trucks to bring steel or plumbing but if you need gravel, that is obviously a big truck but they can dump it in your driveway and wheelbarrow or bobcat it to the back. Gunite truck can stay out front and just run hose to back, plaster can likely do that too.
So excavation is the biggie but I've seen them use bobcats for this too, just depends on soil type.

Thanks, Blaine. Sounds like fewer than 5 days, then.

Your day-by-day posts and photos were terrific, a great help in knowing what to expect. Beautiful pool!

bigdav160 said:
I also had to use my neighbor's driveway for access to my yard.

We are close to the gulf coast so we have no natural rocks. The dig was done with a track loader taking the dirt to the street for the dump trucks.
They were done by noon the first day. At 1pm, the rebar crew shows up and parks their 1 ton truck and trailer on the neighbor's driveway to unload the rebar.

The plumbers parked on the street while I spent a few hours pressure washing and cleaning the neighbor's driveway.

The next day the gunite crew shows up. The giant trucks are parked at the street but still use the neighbor's yard for foot traffic and visual lines of communication between the hose operator and trucks.

The next day I repair the ruined sod on my neighbors side. Although it was only two days, he's been very kind about the inconvenience.

Thanks, that tells me it's very possible to minimize interruptions for the neighbors. Sounds like you were very considerate. I appreciate the quick posting!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.