Not sure what I have - algae?

rhharmon said:
Do I need to run all the tests everyday or at this point can I just run the Chlorine? And, should I filter to waste what's on the bottom or wait until...?

Just CL, FAS-DPD.
10ml sample, you can really save on re-agent if you do a 5ml sample, but it's not as accurate, but good for your daytime dosing at high FC levels like you'll be at. Just have to switch to an 10ml sample for doing OCLT or getting an accurate idea of how much you're loosing as you dose after sunset.
Each drop will be equal to 1ppm of FC when using a 5ml sample, vs. 0.5ppm FC using a 10ml sample.

If there's junk on the bottom, yes, vacuum to waste if you think the filter may have trouble catching it, IE. really fine, dead algae looking fluffy stuff or dust.
If that's the case, go super slow, like brain surgery and do your maneuvers like you're controlling the Mars Rover. :)

Have fun, we're here to help you, every step of the way.

Tested tonight:
FC: 21
CC: 0
CYA: 50 (Water temp is probably 55-60)
TA: 220
CH: 220
So, if I'm reading the chart correct I should shock to 30 (mustard algae - and then some because I'm going out of town) Until I get some direction, I'm going to try and get some bleach in there.

rhharmon said:
I hope I don't drive anybody nuts. Forgot to test for PH. PH is 8.2

Bah!! You won't drive us nutz, we love helping, I know I do and that's what everyone else is here for, otherwise we wouldn't be here. :)

rhharmon said:
..... So, if I'm reading the chart correct I should shock to 30 (mustard algae - and then some because I'm going out of town) Until I get some direction, I'm going to try and get some bleach in there.

As stated, do not go above mustard shock levels, it can cause liner damage, plaster, etc..

Where you shock to, to buffer while you are gone, depends on how much FC drop you have been experiencing between tests.
Do you have an opaque cover, how much sun does the pool get?
Please let us know the above, as well as what all your FC numbers have been for each test, or just an avg. of how much you loose during what period of time. CC too if you have it.

BTW, you don't need to test CC every time, just do it once a day, or every few days. It's only critical in the end, to pass the shock parameters to know when you're done shocking. Clear water, CCs less than 0.5 & OCLT less than 1.0ppm FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I didn't get the water to 70 deg. Didn't know to do that but do now. Did my first test last night. I did add the bleach to mustard algae level tonight. Pool gets sun in the AM until about 2:00 PM this time of year. And, I'm leaving @ 7:00 AM tomorrow morning and will be away until Mon evening. Will test in the AM to see where I'm at. Thanks for all your help.

My two cents....(I just went through the algae process)
Read the pool school....more than once!
Specifically, read about the "Shock Process", "Defeating Algae", and "Mustard Algae" sections. It took me several readings to get the idea!
Click on and read every hyper link when you are reading the articles...especially read about the and learn the OCLT info and the CYA chart that ChemGeek provides
Get extra test stuff you will need-XL option for tf100, at lest one http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-Refills-c11/
Get a speed stir device from TFTestkits
Get lots of bleach and pay attention to the size jugs of bleach you buy as you must enter the size jugs you are using in the calculator in order to get accurate results. Sams club sells the 182oz jugs for about 3 bucks each
Good luck on the algae fight

Cush Dobbs

No it doesn't, because CYA doesn't change unless you dilute it. It stays put, unlike FC, CC and pH which can all be effected by sitting or transporting the water, temp change, etc...

I just use a digital kitchen thermometer. Doesn't take more than about 5 minutes to come up to 70deg from 68 or so. Colder will obviously take longer.

How did your shock do while you were gone?

rhharmon said:
Went from FC 21 to FC 14 and CC remained at 0.

Your shock level is 24ppm, assuming your CYA still tested at 60ppm at or above 70f sample temp.
14ppm is way under your shock level, so hopefully you didn't loose too much ground.

Did you not bring it up close to mustard shock level, which is 35ppm, so I recall saying 30ppm just before you left?

How's the water looking, has your filter been getting extra clogged yet?
You should also clean and resettle the sand bed in your sand filter if you have had it for more than one season. This is just part of a regular maintenance thing.

My CYA is now at 40 ppm because I've been vacuuming to waste. Tested tonight before I added water (due to vacuuming to waste) 21.5 FC; 0 CC. Pool looks much better. Still have algae but I know it's starting to diminish. Tested the CYA this morning (40). I can't seem to bring the water temp up to 70 deg; My house temp is only 70 deg. So tried putting under covers and eventually got it to 68. Tonight tested after 30 mins of adding bleach (and scrubbing walls and bottom) and it's now at 25.5 which is above mustard algae level, but I added what the calculator told me to add. Again, I'm learning but feel like I'm finally making SOME progress.

rhharmon said:
My CYA is now at 40 ppm because I've been vacuuming to waste. Tested tonight before I added water (due to vacuuming to waste) 21.5 FC; 0 CC. Pool looks much better. Still have algae but I know it's starting to diminish. Tested the CYA this morning (40). I can't seem to bring the water temp up to 70 deg; My house temp is only 70 deg. So tried putting under covers and eventually got it to 68. Tonight tested after 30 mins of adding bleach (and scrubbing walls and bottom) and it's now at 25.5 which is above mustard algae level, but I added what the calculator told me to add. Again, I'm learning but feel like I'm finally making SOME progress.

Sounds like you are definitely making some GREAT progress.
Keep up the good work. :goodjob:

It is most certainly a learning experience, as with anything, but this one is fun. :)

Yay, lower CYA! Wohoo!!
You can now drop down to 16ppm FC for shock @ that CYA level.
Just shoot a bit higher to be sure it stays at or above 16.
You'll use less bleach this way, which saves you mooola. :-D

Hrmmmm can't get the sample temp up, huh?
What if you set it in the sun?
I don't think we can put the sample in the nuker-wave, but I'll ask, HAHA!
Instead...
Put it in the CYA mixing bottle, just up to the bottom of the sticker, then seal it up. Now this may sound funny, but hey, it'll work.
I like your covers idea, so try this instead.
Now stick it under your armpit and clamp down, use your 'legpit' if you want, or alternate.
That'll warm it up nice and quick. Give it a gentle shake, slosh, like with the pH tube to distribute the heat.

It also sounds like your bleach percentage may be higher than what it says on the bottle.
If you're buying generic bleach, try entering 8% in the calculator, where it says 6% at the top.
It could be even higher, but experiment with it and you'll figure it out. We humans are pretty durn smart when we put our minds to it. *winks*

Oh, for purposes of pool volume, do you have an Intex AGP, Doughboy, Hayward??

If you need a warmer CYA sample; put the water in a plastic bottle with tight fitting cap. Fill sink with warm water - 80-90 degrees. Leave bottle in sink for 5-10 mins.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.