help!! motor overheats and shuts off

Yes - the motor sold was too small. You can fix it in 2 ways
1. Replace motor with a larger one (with the same or more SFHP)
2, Put the smaller impeller in to work with the smaller motor.

THIS is why we ask for the Service factor (SF) as well as the HP rating of the motor of the pump.

If you understand how they are rated - it's not that hard. For the novice pool owner - I spelled it out - we need BOTH the HP rating AND the Service Factor rating (typically label SF) SFHP is simply HP rating times SF rating. When replacing the motor, all else being equal - you need to have a replacement motor whose SFHP is at least as much as the SFHP of the original motor.

A 1 HP motor with an Sf of 1.25 would be the same as a .75 HP motor with an SF of 1.67, or the same as a 1.25 HP motor with an SF of 1.0

ok i got confused with the SFHP....but i got the other impeller and it worked.......when i when to the store i asked for a 3/4 motor...they never asked any thing else, apart from is it round or square..........thanks to everyone that helped

I would like to jump in. Have a large in ground pool with two Hayward Super II pumps. One pump has always run very hot and loud and motor has been replaced several times. There is a valve in the return line. Should I try to reduce outflow volume for awhile to see if temperature falls?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.