Rust on the inside of my skimmer

Sep 11, 2012
My liner was replaced in our in ground pool about 6 years ago, last season I noticed some rust showing up in the corner of my skimmer right behind the skimmer plate. Our water is has quite a bit of iron in it so I didn't think much of it. I used a metal remover and called it good.
This year however I noticed just behind the skimmer plate there was rust that was flaking off. I am not loosing any water, and was told by my local pool store to remove the skimmer cover, sand the rust, put on a rust inhibitor then make sure there is a gasket between the liner and the pool wall, and the liner and the skimmer cover.
Is this correct? It's closing time up here and this would be a perfect time to do it. Do I need any other sealant?

Recap:
1) Take skimmer cover off.
2) Pull the liner out a bit to sand the wall)
3) Paint on some rust inhibitor (rustoleum I would guess)
4) Put it back together starting with the cover plate-gasket-liner-gasket-pool wall.

Thank you in advance!

26000 Gallon In ground
Sand Filter
Vinyl, 1.5hp pump
Not sure the build it is about 20 Years old 18x36 side stairs everything in the pool is Hayward

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.