equipment recommendations

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Below are the spec's/equip recommendations from a pool design person.

My questions are:

since we are using distributed our pumping functions into 3 diff pumps, is this more cost-effective on energy usage and runing things optimally than with the Pentair intellifo concept of varable speed pumps?

regarding cleaning systems, i have read many posts regarding the in-floor cleaning systems as not a good as the the floating/circulating systems...any comments? below is the info per our design -thx tztex

Gallons: Pool 13,500, Spa 700
Pumps: Pool, 3/4hp Jandy Stealth, full rated, spa & pool cleaners, 1.5hp Jandy Steath, full rated, scuppers, 1hp Jandy Stealth, full rated
Equip: filter Jandy CL/340m 340sqft, heater jandy LXI250 250KBTU, pool cleaner Paramount in-floor CyClean, Chlorinator Fusion Nature 2, airblower Polaris QT 1.5HP/120 V
Controlle:r Zodiac / Aqualink RS/ PDA /Smt Ph App
Power Center: Zodiac /Aqualink RS Power Center

tstex said:
since we are using distributed our pumping functions into 3 diff pumps, is this more cost-effective on energy usage and runing things optimally than with the Pentair intellifo concept of varable speed pumps?
Using multiple pumps just gives you more flexibility to run multiple features at the same time not necessarily better efficiency. However, to use a single VS you should put in more valving so that the filter and heater can be partially bypassed when operating at high flow rates for the spa and scuppers. This will ensure high efficiency and performance.

tstex said:
regarding cleaning systems, i have read many posts regarding the in-floor cleaning systems as not a good as the the floating/circulating systems...any comments? below is the info per our design -thx tztex
In-floors are energy hogs. Also, the heads tend to be complex and seem to fail quite a bit. I would avoid them like the plague. A much more efficient solution is a robotic cleaner. They use very little energy and can keep a pool clean without using the main pump. There are robotic solar skimmers now too so you can virtually eliminate the main pump except for chlorination. Now if they would just put an SWG in one of these, you could eliminate the pump all together, except for the other features of course.

Mark, thank you for your replies...they made great sense...

"However, to use a single VS you should put in more valving so that the filter and heater can be partially bypassed when operating at high flow rates for the spa and scuppers. This will ensure high efficiency and performance."

As far as valves, he configured (6) 2-way Jandy never lubes and (3) 3-way Jandy never lube valves. Does this help? I am not sure if I provided this information in the right context.

Thanks again,
tstex

Hi TSTex, welcome to the forum. :wave:

I'm not a pool builder or pool build expert like some of these amazing folks on here, but I do keep my ear to the ground and I have read on here, countless times, that those Nature2 systems are basically a waste of money.

That one scares me even further, as it uses Tri-Chlor tabs, so there goes your CYA stabilizer levels, through the ROOF! Thus becoming impossible to manage your CL (Chlorine) levels to maintain proper sanitation.

The fact that it even uses chlorine, goes to show you that the system really doesn't work properly on its own. Not to mention it adds metals, including copper to your pool. So green hair and staining are going to be some of your problems that can and likely will develop from that.

I would just buy an automatic liquid Chlorinator or use a SWG (Saltwater Chlorine Generator) if it were my pool.
That is, assuming you are trying to get away from having to manually dump bleach/liquid CL in there.
If you have looked at pool school, that's what we all do here. No tabs, just liquid CL.
The problem is those tabs just keep adding more stabilizer /w every one and pretty soon it builds up to be too high and you can't keep up with the amount of CL required to keep it safe, sanitary and algae or other organics from growing. Then pretty soon you'll have a green pool and have to drain it part way or more, then refill to lower your CYA stabilizer level.
Not a fun job, or cost effective, then if you keep using tabs, you're just in a neverending cycle.

The ultra pool nerds can weigh in more on that Nature2 system if you have questions. They practically have PHDs in this stuff, well... I think some do.

Have fun!! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.