Green Water in Intex AGP

May 13, 2012
Montgomery, AL
Hi guys. I've got a green pool that I need a little advice about.

It started getting a green tint about a week ago. I changed the filter a few days before using a filter I had bought from Walmart that really fits the Summer Escapes pools so I had to cut the hole to make it fit. I'm pretty sure I cut the hole too big because it didn't fit snug in the pump, it was sort of loose. I began to notice a very fine settling of dust on the bottom of the pool. Due to a trip I wasn't able to address it right away (I just thought it needed vacuumed). When I returned home the pool was green, but the water was clear. I could still see straight down to the bottom. I tried vacuuming it, but it just stirred up the dust and made the pool water cloudy. The sides of the pool are not slippery and I've made sure the SWG runs every day and that the FC is kept at 5. So, do you think this dust is from my filter not fitting properly, or do you think it's an algae problem?

Here's my numbers:
FC - 5
CC - 0
CYA - 65
TA - 100
Ph - 7.5

I've had these numbers holding steady all summer and have had crystal clear water so that's why I got suspicious about the filter. Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I changed the filter on Sunday and it hasn't resolved and it's actually worse. Very green and now it's cloudy too.
My FC is still at 5 and my CC at 0.

I don't think I have metals in the water. Filled it at the beginning of the summer and haven't added any new water.

I have not ran an OCLT. I'm thinking about going ahead and shock the pool and see what happens. This if my first time having to deal with a potential algae problem so this will be a learning experience for me.

So can it be algae even though the pool sides are not slippery and my CC is at 0? Thanks for your help!

Algae does not always present CC ... as the sun and FC are actually also breaking down the CC. If the algae is in the water, it may not make the pool slippery. Although it would be odd for the algae to start if the recommended FC levels were maintained as you state.

Turn the SWG off, raise the FC up to shock level and perform the OCLT. If you pass, the problem may not be algae. If you fail, you have already begun the shock process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.