Shadows on pool bottom

Aug 20, 2012
I recently had my pool refinished with diamond brite. During the day the finish looks fantastic. However, at night when I turn on the pool light I see indentations and lumpy areas throughout the entire bottom. I remember seeing the one indentation during the preparation phase of the pool when my contractor chipped out a hollow spot and filled it in with a white cement.

The shadows I'm seeing are basically all the patches in the old finish. My contractor came to the house at night and told me that it is impossible to get the finish perfect and that the light, which happens to be one of those new 5G LEDs, is too strong and will show everything.

Any opinions or similar experiences would be helpful.

The shadows I'm seeing are basically all the patches in the old finish. My contractor came to the house at night and told me that it is impossible to get the finish perfect and that the light, which happens to be one of those new 5G LEDs, is too strong and will show everything.
He is probably correct. Liner pools are much worse for showing the imperfections but it's really tough to get a perfectly smooth surface which is what would be required to eliminate shadow.

That said, it's the degree of unlevelness that is debatable. Obviously, it can be too much but I think some shadows are to be expected.

My pool is an inground concrete pool, about 19,000 gallons. The interior finish was a marcite plaster done in 1993. I had it redone with Diamond Brite Cool Blue. I watched as the pool contractor chipped out large areas of the marcite and patched them with cement. He then rolled on a bond coat product and then replastered with the Cool Blue. When pool light goes on at night I see al types of defects on the bottom. My thoughts are that the pool guy filled in the spots too high and now I have all this shadows you will see in the attached pictures. He claims that I will never get the bottom to look perfect because the new LED lights that Im using are too intense.

Any comments?

Attachments

• Shadows in blue.jpg
    Shadows in blue.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 130
  • shadows in dark blue.jpg
    shadows in dark blue.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 129
I don't think it looks that bad at all. I can see what you are talking about, but if you didn't point it out, it might not be that noticeable to others. Perhaps your LED's can be adjusted somewhat to not glare down directly on the floor..? Just a thought.

I can see what you mean, it does look like the patches weren't leveled off, like they are too high. Looks like hills on a topo map.

Me personally, that'd annoy the #$&@ out of me!!!! :rant:

I'd find a pool in the area with that finish, one that looks right and show it to the guy. Then make him fix it. :whip:
I can understand some small, smooth imperfections, but those are little mountains!
Bet you money if you put a normal light in there that they'd still show. ;)

Do you have a non-led light that you can temporarily throw in there and prove him wrong?

Well... that's just my 2 pence, for what they're worth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.