Had a present when I got back from 1 week vacation

Rick Lohr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Pittsfield, MA
High water level over top of the skimmer.
Green algae mucky enough I can't see bottom.

I expected that my chemicals were off a bit due to the rain, but they are pretty close:

FC 5 ( a bit higher than norm, but I turned up my SWG a bit to be safe while I was gone)
CC 0
TC 5
pH 7.8 (up from 7.5 when I left)
TA 80
CH 90
CYA 57 ( a bit low, I normally shoot for 75, it was a bit low before I left as well )
SALT 3200
TEMP 85

I lowered my pH and put in bleach to get the FC up to 18 which is my shock level.

My question is why did I get the algae? Did the high water over the skimmer allow water to stagnate or something? What am I missing? This is my first year on chlorine so I'm a bit new to this.

Thanks
Rick

Your test numbers look okay. All I can think of is at some point while you were gone the swg did not keep up and your FC dropped below the minimum.

Having water over the top of the skimmer opening only messes up surface skimming (debris, leaves, etc. on surface), it should not have caused your algae.

linen said:
Your test numbers look okay. All I can think of is at some point while you were gone the swg did not keep up and your FC dropped below the minimum.

Having water over the top of the skimmer opening only messes up surface skimming (debris, leaves, etc. on surface), it should not have caused your algae.
Possibly rain dropped in something during the night and ate up the FC prior to the SWG coming in at 8AM. Wow, I would have never guessed Algae could start that fast.

Rick

Rick Lohr said:

Okay, I will bet you have a pool bottom full of organic debris like leaves, twigs and junk. You can still have a decent FC (particularly when you are constantly feeding the pool chlorine like with a SWG), and maybe it is not algae but just organic debris clouding up the pool?

J20832 said:
Rick Lohr said:

Okay, I will bet you have a pool bottom full of organic debris like leaves, twigs and junk. You can still have a decent FC (particularly when you are constantly feeding the pool chlorine like with a SWG), and maybe it is not algae but just organic debris clouding up the pool?

That is very possible. I should be able to tell that tomorrow. I also had a bubble wrap solar cover on the whole time I was gone if that makes a difference. There was no debris on top of it.

Rick

Could your cover have been dirty and had algae living in it? We've put ours away this year as we always fought with it to keep clean. Every time we put it on the water would turn cloudy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Possibly rain dropped in something during the night and ate up the FC prior to the SWG coming in at 8AM
There is nothing in rain that has any appreciable affect on FC.

I think the thought was more that with rain, there is often leaves and other debris. I know I get branches, twigs, sometimes worms...

Okay, this is gross, but maybe there is a dead animal on the bottom?

J20832 said:
duraleigh said:
Possibly rain dropped in something during the night and ate up the FC prior to the SWG coming in at 8AM
There is nothing in rain that has any appreciable affect on FC.

I think the thought was more that with rain, there is often leaves and other debris. I know I get branches, twigs, sometimes worms...

Okay, this is gross, but maybe there is a dead animal on the bottom?
:-D Haven't noticed any deceased creatures or bad smell.

Leebo said:
Could your cover have been dirty and had algae living in it? We've put ours away this year as we always fought with it to keep clean. Every time we put it on the water would turn cloudy.
Nope. Same cover I have been using all season.
I do notice the chlorine is deteriorating the bubble wrap. It tears easily if I am not careful. I never noticed that the baquacil had any affect on it.

Rick

Rick Lohr said:
I do notice the chlorine is deteriorating the bubble wrap. It tears easily if I am not careful. I never noticed that the baquacil had any affect on it.
Chlorine will oxidize pool cover material so they usually don't last more than about 3 years. However, one determinant of their life is whether they are covered when rolled up; otherwise they can deteriorate from the heat from the sun even more quickly. Baquacil is a sanitizer, but not an oxidizer whereas the hydrogen peroxide used in Baquacil pools is an oxidizer but not as strong as chlorine.

chem geek said:
[quote="Rick Lohr":2c8hhrv8]I do notice the chlorine is deteriorating the bubble wrap. It tears easily if I am not careful. I never noticed that the baquacil had any affect on it.
Chlorine will oxidize pool cover material so they usually don't last more than about 3 years. However, one determinant of their life is whether they are covered when rolled up; otherwise they can deteriorate from the heat from the sun even more quickly. Baquacil is a sanitizer, but not an oxidizer whereas the hydrogen peroxide used in Baquacil pools is an oxidizer but not as strong as chlorine.[/quote:2c8hhrv8]
Thanks
Rick

Closeout from last year. There was nothing in the pool that I could see that would explain why I had the bloom. It's possible there was some small particulate that I would not have noticed. My pool has been prone to algae blooms late in the year when the water temp is in the upper 80s. The may be something from the nearby row of hemlocks that kicks it off. I had traditionally followed the rules in this forum but I will probably add some algaecide regularly this year to be safe. Its no fun bringing the pool back to health and we lose precious days in the pool which are all too few anyhow in the Northeast.

Another pool year starting. Uncovered the pool and it was sparkling clean. The only drama so far is that I have some dripping around my pump motor or impeller. Tough to see exactly where it is coming from. Are these fixable or is it time for a new pump? This one has about 12 years on it.

Here it is, another trouble free pool year. To close out last year, I ran with my FC between 3 & 5 and I put in a algaecide weekly. I'm happy to say it was the first year in many years that I didn't have an algae bloom. Since that formula worked I will probably follow the same course this year.

Opening the pool this year had no drama. Had to add about 1/3 of the water back in after winter losses. The pump/filter system is bone dry this year. I installed a new pump/impeller last year which solved my leakage problem. Had to add 5 40 Lb bags of salt to get my salt level up to 3100. I threw in two jugs of bleach to kick start the FC till I got the salt level up far enough. So far, so good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.