Solar cover and shocking

Jul 24, 2012
I have not used my BRAND NEW THIS YEAR solar cover in 2 months. Prior to rolling it up and storing it, my pool was cloudy and algae ridden. After alot of work, my new TF-100 testing kit, and alot of advise from experts in this forum, I now have a crystal clear, algae free pool.

Upon the advise of a forum user, I was told to bring my pool back up to shock level (liquid chlorine only) and put my solar cover on, letting the shock level water bathe the cover. Sounds right and I'm doing it right now. I took buckets of shock level pool water and poured onto the cover top.

How long do I leave the cover on? a couple of hours, all day, all night, all weekend, indefinetly,etc???

Will this hurt my cover??? I know that when I use to use granular shock, I could not use my solar cover.

Like I said - my cover is new and I don't want to damage it.

I've had my cover on with higher FC levels (just under shock) for at least a couple days over this summer. I've yet to notice any wear on the cover. I keep my cover wrapped in a tarp when not in use. Last summer my previous cover (2 seasons old) fell apart - or rather, was burned up by the sun. I bought a 12mil this time (previous was 8mil), the season after next I'll know if it's worth covering with a tarp.

Our new cover came with a white plastic cover to put over it when it was not in use. The plastic is a little heavier than the plastic tablecovering that comes on a big roll that you would use to cover table at parties. It works because it is white and reflects the sun.

Last year we bought a 16 mil clear cover because it was suppose to be SO GOOD and THE BEST! It was terrible. It was a bear to manuver. I literally could not move the reel myself. And, when it was rolled up, it was so bulky that most of it was lying on the concrete! When we stored it last winter, we hung it from the exposed rafters in our garage. I had to hold the end of it up while my husband wrapped the chains around it and the rafters. Not much fun. We no longer have it. It was a waste of money.

I got a 12 mil this year and it is much easier to handle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.