Blue Flexible Discharge Hose - Alternative

msteff

Oct 10, 2007
We had an 20x40 in-ground liner pool installed this spring. The pool builder left a thin blue hose for us to backwash or filter to waste if needed. We have a 1.5 horse Pentair pump. The discharge line is 1.5 inches. We have a DE filter and I haven't had to backwash yet, but we have had a couple heavy rains where I needed to get rid of some water. The blue hose seems to not be able to handle the pressure. It blows up like a balloon and last night It burst at a seam. I need to work out the kinks so when I do need to backwash I don't have the hose burst and DE end up all over my pool decking. Anyhow, I am trying to come up with another viable solution. I need to get the water 100ft away from the pool to an area that slopes away from everything. To clarify I have 2 50ft 1.5 inch sections of the thin blue hose that I have spliced together to form a 100ft length. Here is what I am considering.

1. Run a rigid 1.5 inch PVC run which will be able to handle the pressure better. Or Flex PVC... Seems like the best alternative, but expensive.
2. Run a Polyethylene line.(Sprinkler pipe rated at 100 psi). Cheapest option.
3. Do I need a 2 inch blue hose and my problems will be gone. My pool builder said this probably won’t help long term.

Any comments on what you all are using or how you have made longer runs work.

Thanks!

If your discharge line is 1.5" you can probably use a 2" just fine. I have a 2" discharge hose on a 1.5" pvc pipe using a pipe clamp.

You can buy 100' hoses I am pretty sure. Not splicing them would be better.

Carefully stretch out the hose and always fold it or roll it back up each time you use it to avoid kinking it in a way that could jam up the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.