Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HTH 6 way test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

HTH 6 way test kit

I purchased an HTH test kit today to hold me over and wanted to test the CYA. The instructions say to mix it in the little plastic bottle and then transfer to the "view tube" and look at the black dot. What is the view tube? I don't see a black dot. The kit came with the three "containers" the chlorine/ph test vial, the little plastic one for mixing the CYA and the clear plastic one for the TA and the CH tests. I can't figure out what the CYA view tube is. Stupid I know... sorry, please help?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2
    Although I am not familiar with the particular test kit... Look at each one of the vials/ tubes. Look inside each one and see if there is a black dot at the bottom of one of the tubes. That is the one that will be used. Hope that helps.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

3. Back To Top    #3
    In my HTH 6 way kit from Wal-Mart there are two bottles with white caps on the right. One of the them is the CYA testing solution the other is the mixing/squirt bottle. There are also two tubes in the middle of the back row. The narrow tube is the one with the black dot at the bottom that you squirt the mixed solution into to measure the CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

HTH test kit

Aha! I appear to be missing the narrow bottle. There was only one, and it doesn't have the black dot. Its the one for the TA and CH tests. I will call the manufacturer. Thanks a bunch!
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5
    It might be easier to just exchange it at Wal-mart, if that's where you bought it.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

hey frustratedpoolmom...

everyone here is correct, you are missing a skinny tube that has a black dot surrounded by white on the bottom.

This is the test kit I use and it works well for my pool.

WalMart will surely exchange it!!!
    Centexpool

16x48 Above ground Intex, with 130 lb Dougboy sand filter 3/4 hp pump.
    6031 gallons
    SWG

7. Back To Top    #7
    New question on the 6-way....
    The Calcium Hardness test says add 5 drops and water should turn "red" - my water turns pink. I added 46 drops to turn it purple-blue, which means my calcium (for my vinyl AG pool) is 460. But the pool stores last four tests ranged from 70 to 173. I have not added any calcium or Calc-Hypo to the pool since then. Can I assume that since the water turned pink and not "red" the 460 reading is not accurate?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry
    Mom,

Did you put in the twenty drops of R-0010?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9
    Dave,

I was using the cheapy wal-mart HTH 6-way. It just says add 5 drops and the water should turn red, but it doesn't, it turns pink.

Twenty drops of r-0010 must be a different test. I was waiting to order the TF test kit as I will be going on vacation and don't want it sitting on my door step for unkown days.... will order when I return.