Using everything that I have learned here......

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
My new liner was installed on Wednesday and just finished the fill this morning. Using Everything I have learned from you all this is what I have done so far. First took a sample of fill water:

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
ph 7.2
TA 30
cya 0

So I hung 94 oz of stabilizer (will get me to around 50 ppm) in some hose to get it in the water and added enough chlorine to get to 3 ppm to start. The stabilzer dissolved very quickly with a little bit of squishing here and there. After adding the stabilzer my ph dropped to 6.8 or so , so I added enough ph up to get it back to 7.2, will test again shortly. The pool calculator says to add 152 oz. of baking soda to get my TA up to 90-ish. Should that be high enough or should I go a little more? The water is absolutely beautiful and sparkily and I owe it all to everyone here who has taught me how to take control of my pool. This is the very first time I've started from scratch and I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Thanks!

No big deal but...typically when you have low, but measurable TA such as you did, we suggest moving TA up to at least 50 ppm before doing other things that may change the ph of the pool. This will buffer those changes (such as the fairly significant drop in ph you had adding cya). The recommended range is 70-90+, I would probably aim for 60 ppm TA to start with since you may find you need to raise ph again. Then use borax to raise ph up (if it goes down) and that will raise TA a little more.

pepsiholic said:
I did lol....Have it at about 3, will test again shortly to see where it is at. I'm known around here as the chlorine queen. My daughter thinks I'm a fanatic, but I swear I have the cleanest pool in town...lol

I figured you were on top of it but I had to tweak you about the numbers!

I suddenly have a mental image of your neighborhood association saying, "All hail the Chlorine Queen!" and asking your permission to come swim in the only clear pool in the land... :thequeen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.