need advice on replacement for SWG - Hayward T-CELL 15

Green pool and 0.0 FC. I suspect either the cell or the board is bad. I suspect the cell. But.... V=25.5 and A=7.22, so it should be generating chlorine.

EDIT: Contacted Chlorinator Pro last night at 9pm. This morning at 8am I had an email from them wanting to facetime to troubleshoot my problem.

Last edited:
Just installed a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 Aqua Rite Replacement Salt Water T-Cell-15. ($299). Will report as time passes

Green pool and 0.0 FC. I suspect either the cell or the board is bad. I suspect the cell. But.... V=25.5 and A=7.22, so it should be generating chlorine.

EDIT: Contacted Compupool last night at 9pm. This morning at 8am I had an email from them wanting to facetime to troubleshoot my problem.

Wait, did you buy a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 cell or CompuPool's cell? I've read negative things about both the CompuPool cell and their customer service (eg. difficulty getting warranty service), but so far the Chlorinator Pro CP-15 seems to be looking good. If you did get a CP-15 and are having problems with it, please update us on how Chlorinator Pro handled your warranty concerns.

Wait, did you buy a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 cell or CompuPool's cell? I've read negative things about both the CompuPool cell and their customer service (eg. difficulty getting warranty service), but so far the Chlorinator Pro CP-15 seems to be looking good. If you did get a CP-15 and are having problems with it, please update us on how Chlorinator Pro handled your warranty concerns.

My mistake. It was a Chlorinator Pro CP-15. Dan in customer service was fantastic. He contacted me at 7:54 AM on a Saturday an offered to Facetime me for support. Problem was not his, but he discussed how to resolve it (via SLAM) anyway.

So, I also need to purchase a new cell.

If it helps, here's my history on the compupool cell. I purchased the T13 for $359 July 23, 2012. Worked from the start, then stopped producing. I did their warranty exchange and submitted it 4/17/13 - had to give diagnostic readings, copies of receipt, pool chemistry readouts from my pool store. Took about 4 weeks or more, used tabs and liquid chlorine while waiting. Has worked well since until now. so, essentially, worked for 5 years, so I'm not complaining. But, reading 3 - 1 star recent reviews on Amazon of the company, i decided to seek other options.

I really like the clear window to see when scale built up for cleaning. A disadvantage, is that my local pool store that I use for easy chemistry testing (I purchase chemicals from them, mostly acid and salt), can't test the generic salt cell, only Hayward brand. They were pretty perplexed that it even existed. (But then again, I also replaced the current limiter on my motherboard before they even new how to do it - now they do it as a service 3 years later).

They sell the new Hayward T-Cell-940 (40K gal) with a 4 yr warranty for $599 with $50 rebate, so that's my start point. I see it online for about $460, but with 3 yr warranty. Compupool is $398 (not sure of warranty and wouldn't trust it anymore anyway). Just starting to research today.

So I went ahead and purchased the Hayward T-Cell-940 (40K gal) at my local Pinch-A-Penny last weekend. First off, it's working too well, I overdid it and my first reading went from 0 to 8 ppm after a few days, so I turned down the %. It was the $599 list price with a $50 rebate. It was buy then or purchase more liquid chlorine and research another week.

My reasoning is based on the generics having lesser warranties but also a lesser chance of honoring their warranties, if they're even still around. My last cell was the compupool (now $300 with 3 yr warranty), which had to be replaced less than a year in, and with tedious records and paperwork sent, and over a month to get it. The reviews on it are now really bad, and some pool supply places have stopped using them. I also saw the Hayward online for $549, but with the 3 yr warranty. Plus the model i received is called "Extended Life (supposedly 25%), so it basically is $137.25 per year if it lasts the 4 years.

My motherboard is pre 2009 so I'm limited with certain cells too (I replaced the current limiter myself years ago to save the board).

Most generics came to about $100 per year of warranty. So for an extra $37 per year (or probably less if it lasts longer than 4 years), I have peace of mind, and the clincher was that my pool store not only can test the cell (they couldn't test my generic), but also honors the warranty. Anything wrong, I bring it to the store and they handle it. I regularly bring my water to be tested there anyway, so I felt this was the best deal for me.

So I went ahead and purchased the Hayward T-Cell-940 (40K gal) at my local Pinch-A-Penny last weekend. First off, it's working too well, I overdid it and my first reading went from 0 to 8 ppm after a few days, so I turned down the %. It was the $599 list price with a $50 rebate. It was buy then or purchase more liquid chlorine and research another week.

My reasoning is based on the generics having lesser warranties but also a lesser chance of honoring their warranties, if they're even still around. My last cell was the compupool (now $300 with 3 yr warranty), which had to be replaced less than a year in, and with tedious records and paperwork sent, and over a month to get it. The reviews on it are now really bad, and some pool supply places have stopped using them. I also saw the Hayward online for $549, but with the 3 yr warranty. Plus the model i received is called "Extended Life (supposedly 25%), so it basically is $137.25 per year if it lasts the 4 years.

My motherboard is pre 2009 so I'm limited with certain cells too (I replaced the current limiter myself years ago to save the board).

Most generics came to about $100 per year of warranty. So for an extra $37 per year (or probably less if it lasts longer than 4 years), I have peace of mind, and the clincher was that my pool store not only can test the cell (they couldn't test my generic), but also honors the warranty. Anything wrong, I bring it to the store and they handle it. I regularly bring my water to be tested there anyway, so I felt this was the best deal for me.
Has anyone ever seen or tried one of these?

https://4saltpools.com/products/platinum-edition-replacement-salt-cell-for-hayward-t-cell-15-40-000-gallons-5-year-warranty

What jumped out at me besides the price was the 5 year warranty. But looking over this forum I'm thinking maybe it's too good to be true.

Also seems a bit fishy that it's a drop-in replacement for so many different units, but some are duplicates (Goldline and Hayward for example).

I also have to admit that the clear housing and "self cleaning" features are appealing, though perhaps even less credible than the warranty.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

https://4saltpools.com/products/pla...ward-t-cell-15-40-000-gallons-5-year-warranty

What jumped out at me besides the price was the 5 year warranty. But looking over this forum I'm thinking maybe it's too good to be true..

I liked the thought but could not find the "warranty terms" I've seen other warranty's that are prorated, then I could not find the bbb for the site (this happens for newer sites too) but what I did find was many review sites saying that they are a scam site and they either send nothing or a broken product SCAMGUARDâ„¢ | Saltpoolstore.com has 5 complaints

It's not a guarantee it's bad but be very careful....

For me if I like my Hayward, and it performs as expected I would pay a little more for that same result and it's going to keep a good solid company in business. I'd still shop around and get the lowest possible price but prefer brand loyalty

I also have to admit that the clear housing and "self cleaning" features are appealing, though perhaps even less credible than the warranty.

I could be wrong, but I believe the "self cleaning" thing is a feature of the controller, not the cell. Meaning, I think that is no different than if the generic cell advertised a feature of "generates chlorine".

I'm second more CompuPool feeeback.

FWIW, my T15 appears to have died after 9 years. FWIW, I maintain CYA at about 60, and run the SWG 25% for 12hrs in the summer and 4hrs @ 25% in the winter. MTBF calc says 14yrs at on that plan, but add in a super-chlorinate about 10-12x per year and you get ~9yrs. I also shock with bleach and practice BBB, less borax.

EDIT: Just installed a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 Aqua Rite Replacement Salt Water T-Cell-15. ($299). Will report as time passes

Update: Coming up on three years, no issues with the cell. install date ~ 10-05-2015

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: Coming up on three years, no issues with the cell. install date ~ 10-05-2015

Final Update:
Chlorinator Pro CP-15 cell gave up the ghost after 4 years, 291 days. I paid $299 (~$62.32/yr).
I have ordered a replacement, also a Chlorinator Pro CP-15.

For reference, the previous cell (Hayward T-15) lasted ~7 years and costs $499 today ($71.29/yr)

Reactions: chlorinatorpro
Final Update:
Chlorinator Pro CP-15 cell gave up the ghost after 4 years, 291 days. I paid $299 (~$62.32/yr).
I have ordered a replacement, also a Chlorinator Pro CP-15.

For reference, the previous cell (Hayward T-15) lasted ~7 years and costs $499 today ($71.29/yr)

Thank you so much for updating this thread! It had been so long that I had forgotten that I subscribed!

Reactions: DeadAquaRite
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.