Shocking / Algae Removal Process - SHOCK DONE....NOW WHAT?

Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process....DAY 4: OCLT RESULTS?

Good Morning Everyone. Back again, Day 4 of shocking process and just tested FC level after OCLT. I am exhaused but do feel I am getting a little closer to being done with this issue. :whoot:

Last night levels (@ dark):
FC = 19
CC = .5

This a.m. levels (6:45 a.m.):
FC = 17CC = .5

**FC down 2.0 ppm??? (see below)

Now here is my dilemma....When I tested last night, I had made a note in my pool log that my "drop count" (process of adding the R-0871 reagent dropwise and counting) may be off by 1-2. Therefore, my FC may not have dropped less than 1.0 ppm.

Would it safe to assume I did indeed miscount and call my levels good and my shocking process complete? I vaccuumed this morning and did suck up a few balls of algae that were on the floor in the middle of the pool.

I have attached a pic I took of the water this morning. [attachment=0:30nqj5lq]pool2 (7-19-12).JPG[/attachment:30nqj5lq]

Please let me know what I should do next? As always, thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• pool2 (7-19-12).JPG
    pool2 (7-19-12).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 25

I would hold it at shock level today and run the OCLT again tonight. I'm the kind of guy that would want to remove any doubt. Holding shock level one more day isn't going to hurt anything but stopping one day early might.

Thank you Bama Rambler.

So do I test throughout the day or just tonight? Assuming my CYA is still 40 as it was 4 days ago, is my target FC I want to keep it at.....15? or do I still shoot for the mustard algae FC target of 24?

Also, should I get in pool today and thoroughly brush sides and bottom and make sure everything is vacuumed up? Don't want to get in pool if not a good idea.

I'd test and hold it at normal shock level of 15 a few times today.

I'd brush the pool as much as you feel like. It's perfectly fine to get in the water up to shock level.

Bama Rambler - I last question, I promise....... :? sorry, just want to make sure I don't screw this up and get back to square 1.

It is raining here today.....is it okay to keep pool cover off or will rain water drastrically effect the FC level?

Rain has a marginal effect on pool water. Run the pump for 30 minutes before you test and after a rain to insure the water is mixed well.

I hardly notice any effect from rain on my pool, and it rains a lot here (5' a year). A few inches of rain in a 4' pool isn't a very big percentage.

Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process - SHOCK DONE..NOW WHAT?

TGIF!!! I just tested the pool after my OCLT and Day 5.

Last Night Levels @ Dark:
FC = 16

This a.m. Levels @ 9:30 a.m.
FC = 15
CC = .5

Yippeee! Finally it the shocking process worked and my pool is sooooo sparkly. Whew, what a process.

Q1.) Now that it is clean and free of algae, what do I need to do so kids can go swimming? How do I bring the FC down so they can go in?

Q2.) Do I now need to test all my other levels (pH, TA, CYA) and treat accordingly or do I need to wait a few days until my FC comes down? [/b]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.