Equipment Renovation - need some advice

Jul 16, 2012
This is my first house with a pool. The equipment appears to be the original stuff that was installed with the house when it was built around 2000. The pool is 15,000 gal, the spa is 500 gal, and the spa is connected to the pool with a waterfall.

I know next to nothing about pools. What I do know is that the existing pumps are loud so I'd like to replace them and add some automation equipment. There are currently two pumps installed. It appears that one is dedicated to the pool and the second to the spa. There is a blower installed, a few manual manual diverter valves, a heater, and a timer. Pictures of all of this are below.

Goals for the upgrade: reduced noise level, reduced energy consumption, integrate pool automation into my existing automation system.

What I'm trying to determine is if it makes sense to have the plumbing modified to remove the dedicated spa pump and install a new Pentair 011017 IntelliFlo VS+SVRS and an Intermatic PE34065RC for automation. I want to go with the Intermatic since I have already invested pretty heavily in Zwave automation in the house and the Intermatic can be integrated into the exting network without too much trouble.

Here are my questions:

• 1. Is it a good idea to reduce to a single Pentair 001017 to run both the pool and the spa? If yes, what modifications do I need to make to the exisiting plumbing to do this? If no, should I use two Pentair 001017 units, or is there a better configuration for this application?
    2. In looking at the photos, are there any other recommendations that you would make if you were going to the trouble of making updates to the system?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

Attachments

• 20120716-Pool-Pumps-004.jpg
    20120716-Pool-Pumps-004.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 20120716-Pool-Pumps-006.jpg
    20120716-Pool-Pumps-006.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 20120716-Pool-Pumps-007.jpg
    20120716-Pool-Pumps-007.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 165
I don't think you would be happy with a single pump, performance wise in the spa. If you have dual drains, the svrs is really unnecessary. Look at the vs-3050 s. they are quiet and automation friendly. On low I can't tell they are on.

Lershac said:
I don't think you would be happy with a single pump, performance wise in the spa. If you have dual drains, the svrs is really unnecessary. Look at the vs-3050 s. they are quiet and automation friendly. On low I can't tell they are on.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at the vs-3050.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.