Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Pools safe for pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Pools safe for pool?

Ok all, this question has been bugging me....

In coastal environments, condo's that are of steel reinforced design have occasional issues with rebar rot. The rebar rusts deep inside the concrete, usually on the balconies and at the balcony to building joints. In severe cases the concrete around the rusting bar "pops" and flakes off.

So.....if we have a gunnite pool filled with salt water, what kind of migration to the rebar can we expect? Will the surface walls of the pool spall?

Has this been discussed before?

Thanks
    12-15k gallons capacity, 18'x34'
    2 main drains 4 returns 1 vacuum line
    pentair intelliflo 4x160 pump 200 sq ft media filter full width (~7' wide) swimout at deep end
    pebble sheen white diamonds

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Has this been discussed before?
    Yes, there was a very pleasant discussion a few months back about a VERY similar subject. Two people were shot, fourteen disappeared, and the beatings got too numerous to recount!

I managed to stay out of that one but I'd be careful........some folks here are still packin'...
    http://www.troublefreepools.com/viewtop ... hlight=swg

By the way, welcome to the forum......it really is a terrific place with lots of smart, nice people.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

WOW Dave,

YOU HAD TO GO THERE!!!
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5
    He has not posted in a very long time....I think he dropped his memebership when he realized he couldn't post his BS without getting shot down.
    Newfool,
    As far as salt damage to condos. I have lived in FL all my life on the coast (and I am NOT a youngster) and I can say that they started doing very bad construction in the building boom in the 70s and 80's into the 90's. The older construction lasted, the new construction that is meeting the Dade County code will last.
    The stuff they built to make a fast buck won't and isn't!
    I grew up in Miami, lived in Ft. Lauderdale, and now live in St. Augustine less than a half block from the water so I know about coastal conditions. (I also have a salt pool BUT it's fiberglass.)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Salt levels in the pool are much lower than ocean water. Also, pool plaster is much better with salt than concrete. Above ground pools sometimes have issues with their frame but gunite is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks duraleigh, that was an interesting thread and ty for the welcome. I have to agree that the IQ on this site is quite high, alot of knowledgeable people and I am proud to bring the bar down a little

This is true waterbear - I am sorry I havent replied back to you regarding TSP, I have a box in my garage that I wanted to check. Do you recall when abouts they banned the phosphate in TSP?

That is true Jasonlion, the concentration is much less than sea water, but I figured the salt would still work its way through the plaster. I guess that is one of the selling points of pebble sheen, less exposed plaster.

Thank you all for the input.
    pentair intelliflo 4x160 pump 200 sq ft media filter full width (~7' wide) swimout at deep end

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry
    and I am proud to bring the bar down a little
    That's a good line.

Just remember, I am permanently the lowest common denominator
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

HeHe, thanks - feel free to use it!

10. Back To Top    #10

One thing that keeps bugging me after reading thetopguy's argument about environment pollution - what's the salt contents of urine and is that salt filtered out at some stage or does it end up in the soil and rivers?