New Type Of Algae???

May 27, 2011
Can somebody please tell me if there is a algae called scga algae. My neighbor said he read about it somewhere on the internet. He said it is highly resistant to CL. It mostly gets into small crevices & indentions in vinyl & plaster pools. I do have some type of substance that continually reappears in these places in my vinyl pool. I can brush it away or vacumn it to waste,but it always comes back in the same locations. My water is crystal clear . I have been on BBB since May 2011 with great success. I just can't lick this,whatever, that won't go away. THANKS for any advice. fc 5.0,ph7.7,ta 70, ch 50,cya 40. TFP test kit

I remember reading somewhere there are over 7,000 species of algae. They all have one similarity....chlorine kills them :mrgreen:

If you have living algae in your pool, regardless of it's name, you do not have adequate chlorine.

The answer is to increase the chlorine to a level that will kill the algae. Perhaps you need to shock but, if you return to your previous FC levels, the algae will return, too.

Thanks for the reply to my question about the scga algae. I do keep my cl at chart target level per cya reading. My cc has never been over.5 and normally at 0. I did shock one time with 6% bleach with the amount the chart suggested. Maybe it's just dirt or silt. Until May of this year I used my well as water refill in the pool. I'm thinking it just might be from that. Thanks again for all help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.