My battle with algae

I had a pool guy come by and look at the pool. He seemed pretty bright. He said the stuff I thought was either dust or mustard algae was probably old paint oxidizing. He said the sand in the filter should be changed, and that he would charge $200 to do that. He said there was a little algae in areas where the pool surface is pitted, and it would be hard to get rid of without scrubbing with a metal brush, which would damage the old paint more. I can live with a little algae.

This is an old pool that was very poorly maintained. The house was a foreclosure. When the bank took it, the pool was covered without any leaves being removed, and it sat for over a year. When I removed the cover it was like a sewer of rotted leaves. So the surface is not in great shape and probably should be painted soon. I think I'll have him change the sand in the filter, and then this winter have it painted, or maybe refinished.

He said the oxidization of the old paint was not a health hazard.

Please tell me if all of this seems reasonable.

I have an old pool that was improperly maintained. You can still make them crystal clear. I've got another 24 years on you! :) My plaster is also pitted. Other items needing repair around the house have kept me from replastering.

The proper way to refinish it is to replaster. Paint is a short-lived band-aid based on what some friends have told me.

If you leave any algae in the pool, you are going to spend a fortune trying to keep your FC up.
Why are you changing the sand? You probably do not need to change it.

I agree with RobbieH...unless the pool guy is claiming it is the wrong sand, I see no reason to give him your money for his "new" sand.

TomAtlanta said:
I can live with a little algae.
As Robbie said, if you have algae, you should get rid of it or it will just keep consuming your chlorine.

Yep, see this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html#p247326

The only situations that I can think of that might fit needing new sand:

1. Baqua conversions
2. Not knowing how much sand is in the filter, therefore easiest just to replace with correct weight.
3. Not knowing if it is pool filter sand (previous owner, etc.).

Bottom line, if you pool is clear, then your filter is doing it's job...if it isn't, it is likely something chemical, organic, or mechanical in failure and not likely the sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only solid tabs are Trichlor, which contains CYA, and Cal-Hypo, which increases CH. Also, the Cal-Hypo tabs have binders in them so leave a residue and they tend to fall apart when they get smaller. The chemistry of chlorine is such that there is no solid form readily compressible into slow-dissolving tabs/pucks that doesn't add CYA or CH into the water. There is lithium hypochlorite that is granular/powder that doesn't add CYA or CH, but it is very expensive and is not in slow-dissolving tab/puck form.

Remember that Trichlor, Dichlor and Cal-Hypo aren't separate chlorine added with CYA or CH, but rather are chemical compounds with chlorine attached to something that allows it to be in solid form. Chlorine in its purest form as an element is a gas. That gas dissolved in water forms hypochlorite solutions, aka chlorinating liquid or bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.