Help with Pool in south florida

MSI

May 30, 2012
Miami, FL
We recently purchased this house with great pool. I have started taking care of the pool for past month or so. Pool is in good condition. I run the pump and vacuum for about 8 hours a day. Doing all tests on a weekly basis and Chlorine / pH every two days.
Pool company was maintaining Chlorine level of about 6 ppm. We have had lot of rain and high temperatures (pool water temp. about 95 deg F during daytime).
I am having problems in increasing chlorine level, which dropped very rapidly over last 3 weeks. Present results are as follows:
FC 3.5
CC 0.0
TC 3.5
TA 110
CH 270
CYA 60
I have added 4 gal of Clorox bleach and 4 cuts of muriatic acid today.
Any suggestions / recommendations on pool chemistry in South Florida?

Thank you

With a CYA of 60, you should be shooting for a daily FC level between 5 and 9 (according to the poolcalculator). I would take it up to shock level (18) and do the overnight chlorine loss test to see if you have something "growing" and then if necessary keep up the shocking!

Not sure what your pH was, so can't comment on the need for the acid.

Thank you J20. Sorry missed the pH. It is 7.9

I am trying to increase FC by adding at least 1 gal of bleach every day for past week or so. Will increase the dosage to shock level as you suggested.

What would be the normal amount of bleach I should expect to add to maintain the chlorine level in South Florida? In other words what kind of chlorine loss I should expect on a daily or weekly basis?

Thanks again.

Thank you all. Everything is under control now. Getting hang of it. Getting a good deal on chlorine from local Pinch a Penny.
2.5 gal - 10% liquid chlorine for $4.65. Bleach in the area is much more than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.