Plugged Hayward CL220 Chlorinator

Apr 24, 2008
Baytown,TX
I have a Hayward CL220 chlorinator that, I think, is partially plugged up because I have the setting at 'maximum' and I still don't seem to be using up the chlorine tablets very fast and I'm having a hard time keeping the chlorine level up. Inside I see a lot of tan colored 'goo' on the side of the chlorinator housing. I read somewhere else on this site that the knob can be removed by pinching it to bypass the stop and then unscrewing it. I tend to think maybe the inlet is partially clogged so I plan to take it apart and try to clean it. My main question is 'how do I protect my skin while I'm cleaning this device'? I am concerned that the tan colored stuff is some kind of highly concentrated chlorine. Any help out there?

Sammy,

No problem on the "goo". get a big bucket of water and submerse the whole thing in it while cleaning. There's nothing in the tabs that could cause any harm under those conditions. I can't imagine what that goo is unless something other than tri-chlor tabs have been put in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.