Bunch of questions from a newbie...

Jun 3, 2012
Folsom, CA
I have been learning a lot from reading this site, and am now responsible for pool upkeep (gotten rid of the pool care guy).

First, all important test results from my Taylor K-2006:

pH: 7.8
FC: 4.0
CC: Absent
TA: 80
CH: 230
CYA: Was ~20 on Saturday. Added some cyanuric acid to bring the level up to 30, and will test it again in a day or two.

Now here are my questions for the experts:

1. I am running low on CYA test reagent. Where do you get replacement reagents for Taylor kit? When I am ordering, I will as well order some for Chlorine as well.

2. I am losing about 4-6 ppm FC in a day. The pool is under direct sunlight most of the day, and temps here are almost 100oF. My last OCLT indicated less than 1 ppm loss. I am using liquid bleach to maintain the chlorine levels. Is this much chlorine loss normal? If yes, what can be done to reduce this use, if anything?

3. Just curious, why it needs almost a week for CYA to register on the tests? When I added cyanuric acid last time, it wdissolved in about 3-5 hours.

That's it for now..but I am sure more questions will be coming :)

1.http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

2. Getting your CYA up should help with that.

3. This one I'm not certain of, but it can go fast it's just to avoid overshooting on CYA it's recommended to wait a week before adjusting again.

4. I don't know borates, someone will be along to help with that one I'm sure.

5. Hardware stores will have it, usually in the paint or concrete sections.

6. same as 4.

Thanks for the reply, Dan!! Hoping someone else chimes in and also talks about borates.

This is the first time in my couple of weeks here that others haven't jumped in the discussion yet. May be everyone is enjoying their pools :)

Per Dan's PM, I made a new thread specifically for borates in the BBB forum. Hopefully, I will have faster response there :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.