How to get the shock level number

OSUJAG

Jul 6, 2012
Central Ohio
Yes, I'm brand new at pool maintenance. :)

I've been studying this site for a few days now, and think I have an understanding of how to go about the shock process. My test kit including the CYA test capability is in transit, so I don't have those results yet. Though, The pool hasn't been treated for over a year. Lots of yard renovations.

In doing my studying, I seem only confused as to how to get a shock-level reading using a test kit, when the test kit only reads up to 5? I'm sure it's a simple math adjustment. Fewer drops, more drops? Only I'm not sure how to make that adjustment. Nor with which chemical.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

FC - 5 immediately, fades to 3.5 by the time I add the 0003 drops
CC 3 but fades quickly. This confuses me. Tested 3 times.
pH - 7.2
TA - 120 this result turns yelly instead of the red that is expected. ??
CH - Unknown. Test kit in mail
CYA - Unknown. Test kit in mail. May be 0. Though, I have 3" chlorine tablets with stabilizer in skimmer. I'm sure it's still low.

Shock-level may require several gallons of chlorine shock a day 5-6, correct?

Thanks!

the FAS-DPD test does not have the 5ppm limit. You count drops to find the FC level up to 50ppm.

Sounds like you just need to wait for your kit.

You can try using a 50/50 mix of pool and distilled water with your test and then doubling the reading ... but it is not very accurate.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thanks Jason. I've dumped 12 gallons of shock over the past few days (5 last night), and just can't seem to get the numbers up. I know that the CYA may be the culprit. However, I thought that it may be relatively low, since the pool hadn't been treated for over a year. How long does CYA linger if the pool is left untreated?

Additionally, When testing the FC, Should the result color fade down the chart? Or will it hold steady for the accurate FC? I notice that as soon as I do the flip-to-mix, the FC can be up around 5,. However, it slowly fades down 2. It takes about 2 minutes to fade though.

Thanks for you time!

Jacob

That means your FC level is a bit over 10. The DPD chlorine test bleaches out when the FC level is high enough. When you are right near the threshold of bleaching out it can behave as you describe.

Once I get the FC to shock level, how often throughout the day can I expect to pour additional liquid shock to the pool? I have been adding 4 gallons at once, then just vaccuming, scrubbing, and backwashing. Should I be spreading those 4 gallons apart throughout the day?

How often you have to add will vary depending on how quickly your FC is being used up but will be more often in the beginning of the shock process than later on. Measure as often as you can and add bleach as needed to ensure your FC stays at shock levels (but not more than once per hour).

When I went through it, I was adding additional bleach every 2-3 hours at first. You'll have to use the FAS-DPD test, though, to ensure you can accurately maintain appropriate shock levels in the pool until you pass the 3 criteria from Pool School: CC is 0.5 or lower, an overnight FC loss of 1.0 ppm or less, and clear water.

Thanks Jason. I've got those target numbers on my pad of notes by the pool. :) New kit should be on my door-step when I get home today.

Before I head to the store, though. Chlorine Shock can be used instead of the bleach, yes? I know from reading pool school that the liquid shock is at about 12% and Ultra Bleach from Wal Mart/Sam's is around 6%. So, my plans have me using the shock from the pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My apologies! I assumed Jason was the only one replying. Embarrassed on my end. :) I'll pay close attention to who's replying from now on.

A personal "Thank You", to you rtkane.

And, Thanking "both" Jason's individually. Thank you. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.