Intex cloudy water/algae

Maurie

Jul 7, 2012
First, I thought we cleared the algae we had, but it still has a light green tint....so maybe not.

Here are our current readings with hth drop kit.

Chlorine 5+++
Ph 7.5
TA 240
Th 400
Cya 30-35

We are running our filter nonstop. I think the cloudiness is from possible algae still lurking but also the high TA and TH. We have been using calc-hypo which I understand can make things worse.

I tried to use the pool calculator but wasn't sure of my goals with possible algae. Our pool is intex listed at 6981 gal, but I think more around 7500 gal.

I bought some bleach, just not sure how to proceed. Thanks.

1) Go to TFTestKits.com and order either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. Pool School has a comparison of the two kits if you're interested.

2) Obtain a full set of test readings.

3) Adjust pH to acceptable levels, if it's off.

4) Bring CYA up to 30 if it's below that. If it's above 30, leave it alone, unless it's in the 80-ish range or higher.

5) Consult the Chlorine/CYA chart to determine your appropriate shock level of chlorine.

6) Read Shocking Your Pool in Pool School

7) Use the Pool Calculator to determine the amount of bleach required to reach your shock level, and then head to the store to buy 3 times that amount. This may or may not be enough, but it will be a good start.

8) Shock your pool.

========================

No...there aren't any shortcuts.

No...the "SpectralRainbowUnicorn test from WhatsItsPools.com" will not be "good enough".

No...you can't "substitute" a level/chemical/process/task.

Yes...it will work.

Yes...it will take time.

Yes...you'll be in complete control of your sparkling, healthy pool when you're done.

Yes...you'll need sunglasses to stare at it. :)

:cheers:

Don't take this as a substitute for a good test kit because it's not.

To use the dilution method you take 1 part pool water and mix it with 3 parts chlorine free water. Then test it and multiply the result by 4. For instance, take 5ml pool water and mix it with 15ml chlorine free water then use the mix for the test and multiply the result by 4. So if it looks like 3 the actual result will 12.

Bama Rambler said:
To use the dilution method you take 1 part pool water and mix it with 3 parts chlorine free water.

It's worth noting that tap-water is probably NOT chlorine free....although in aquarium land, we've been known to set it outside for a couple of days to remedy that problem. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.