I am starting to hate this thing!

It's such a basic design, just have a flap of rubber or plastic to use water's natural resistance to force the brush against the wall. as long as you keep the brush in a constant downward push, it will apply the pressure.

I would rather do 10 pools than my lawn. Spent about an hour a month on my pool including manual vacuuming (once a month), adding cal-hypo (to increase my CH) and water testing and balancing. Know the tricks around and almost everything can be short cutted. When your pool sparkle, your face will sparkle brighter.

Vincent

EskimoPie said:
SeanB said:
I think I'll use my TFP discount at www.PoolGeek.com to pick one up. ;)

On your oh-so-subtle hint I headed over there to purchase one, but paying $15 shipping on a $20 item isn't a pill I'm willing to swallow. Hopefully I can find one locally.

I ordered a few items to make up for it. It's a flat fee up to $100. I agree, a little high for just one item. Poolandspawarehouse.com doesn't carry them though.

The Mermaid Queen said:
regarding the hose, is there strong flow from the return (back into the pool?) It is the accordion-looking flex hose, correct?

Can your cartridges be inserted upside down? I don't remember them having a top or bottom... Did you bleed the air out of the filter?

Yes it is accordion looking. I do not think the filter has a top nor bottom. All air was bled out. But there also seems to be NO pressure coming from the "jet" (nozzle that pushes water back in). Pump runs and when I open the valves (plungers connected to pool) it starts to spit out water at the filter column. I have shut off the pump (after running it almost 72 hours) because I am assuming it does not work so I wont pay the electricity bill for something that does not work!

Then it sounds like there is a blockage somewhere on the suction side.

Make sure you don't have anything blocking the intake, and make sure the plunger valve is really open when it says it should be...

Running the pump without water flowing thru it will burn out the motor...

Yikes, thats what it sounds like to me too. Those plungers are tricky - is it possible one is not all the way opened?

We started with an Intex pool when they first came out, moved to an 18' AGP and then on to our current model. Truthfully, I really don't do any more work or take more time on this bigger pool than it took on the first Intex we had (which actually was longer because I didn't know about BBB then) Get that pump running, use liquid bleach, the CYA should go in a sock hung in front of the return or in a sock inside a little puck floatie thing. Use the cover to keep heat in and debris out - but let it breathe occassionally.

BTW - yep, one set of solar panels from Ebay would really help heat that thing up, but full sun can do that too when its a small pool and the nights are warm. The panels are a must though if your nights are cool - the sun can't keep up with the cold night temps even with a cover on.

Our biggest PITA is the Junebugs from mid-May through the first week or so of June. We are under a big Merc Vapor yard light so guess what gets drawn in? It is the annual migration of Junebugs - ALL of them in the entire world, congregating at my pool like drunken college students at spring break. Thank goodness for the cover - I shovel (yes shovel) them off each morning and cart them away in a bucket out to the woods (so they don't rot poolside - yuck!) That is my biggest and most time consuming job with the pool - oh, that and all that time I am forced to stand there at the poolside blender - its a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

UPDATE: Fixed the pump so now water is moving.....

Went to the local LESLIE POOL SUPPLY and had a water analysis done. Here are my numbers:

CL 5.0+
pH 7.2
TA 130
Hardness 290
CYA 10
Solids 700

Everything seems to be OKAY. Some can be better but it appears I am not swimming in a swamp!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, yet another update.....

It looks as though I MAY be moving this weekend. Put an application in yesterday and should know today or tomorrow. My current landlords are psycho and this pool and them are the final straw. They wanted me to Drain the pool, move it two feet (butted up againest the garage wall!) and refill it. Water is NOT cheap here! This is like the 10th major issue with these people(this is a longer story but blood is still boiling so trying to relax). Anyhow, so I am looking to move and found a WONDERFUL place. But, here is the kicker.

The new place has a built in pool and hot tub. They are fairly small but they are inground, heated, and what looks to be a sand pump. I will need to look into this and give you guys makes and models so I can get an idea. But here is a question. Lets ASSUME I get this place. The pool is NASTY! Rottening oranges and palm leafs, etc. are in it. Water seems clear but just full of trash. Which should I do:

1) Obviously clean it, SHOCK the HECK out of it and then go on.
2) Hire someone to clean and santize it and stabilize it, then I take over
3) Drain it, clean it, and start with fresh water?

Remember, I work from about 6am to 8 or 9pm and usually work saturdays. With us moving, it would be AT LEAST a month before I can look at this thing. That is why I was thinking of hiring someone for the first month to clean and stabilize then I take over. Also, how much should I expect to pay someone for this. Is $50 the average? $100? I honestly dont know but DONT want to get ripped off. Thanks!

If I had to fix it up for you and it is in that bad of condition, I would probably charge $500 or more. If you could get it without draining and refilling it, you would essentially need to be there all day to keep bringing it back to shock level for a day or two. Every half hour at first, then slowly less and less. It would be a major time commitment for someone. Now, if you were to hire it out, I doubt that they would do it the right way. They would probably just toss bags of powdered shock in by the case daily and backwash once a day until it was done.

So, if you won't have time to dedicate to it, you need to decide how much it is worth to you, and get some bids on it. Do you have someone who is at home? Maybe they could do it. Getting someone else to take care of it is probably a waste of time. Nobody takes it seriously if it is not theirs.

congrats on getting your current pool working!!

One of the first things to do with the potential new pool is to scoop all of the trash out of it. Otherwise, your chlorine will use itself up trying to clean oranges and palm leaves, and not kill the algae that is undoubtedly trying to take hold!!

You can do it without hiring someone, or draining it. Just come back and ask more questions! You managed to get your current pool in great shape, with a little advice from us, so no reason tho think you cannot do it at the new place!!

If the water is still clear, it should be easier to clean it up and the smaller size will be your advantage. Get all the leaves and debris out ASAP. Run the pump 24/7 get full set of #s including TC FC PH CH TA CYA. Post them and you will be having a nice pool to cool off after all the unpacking. Get the kids to scoop out all the leaves (they'll do it in return for a nice swim). Post some pics before, during and after the cleanup. The before and during pics are for the gurus to better guide to make your job easier and the after pics are the certificate for the gurus for their job done.

Like sevver said, forget about hiring someone to clean up your pool and hand over a nive pool to you once done. It'll not only cost you a fortune in labour cost but a huge chemical bill and most probably a big headache too.

Vincent

The pool has been somewhat cleaned.... Please allow me to "describe" what I have.....

A LARGE black cylindar thing with a pressure gauge and a heater. It also has a electronic program box. It appears to be Saltwater as it says check the cell and check salt. But I have never done it before. I think I will call the people who installed it (information is on a sticker on the box) and ask them to come out and explain everything.....

Sounds like a cartridge filter and a SWG, a good combo. (Or possibly a DE filter, better filtration but a bit more work overall.) What make of SWG? This should be on the control box.
In the meantime, you should get all the debris out of the pool and then shock it with bleach, then get your salt level checked. You might need to acid wash the salt cell but find out what make the unit is first (and model too).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.