blowing circuit in amp

And you have set the "Impedance Magnification Selection" to the correct position? You might want to check the nominal resistance across the two input terminals for each side (e.g. set VOM to Ohms, and touch the red and black terminals for left and then right speakers). You should see a resistance around 5-8 ohms. Any lower than this, and your amp is seeing a short circuit and kicking in the safety circuit to prevent damage to the amps.

I haven't given up. I'm suppose to get a Niles - Si-2130 2-channel High-current Bridgeable Power Amplifier for fathers day. My daughter works at a high fi shop and can get it at cost plus 5% around $500.00 this should handle what I want to do.

I'm lost - at least a little - Have you checked without the NILES in the loop with only a pair of speakers and if so under what gauge wire and length?

If not maybe the NILES is the problem. The NILES speaker selector as you described it sounds like an impedance matching model - do you have the exact model info?

CraigMW said:
And you have set the "Impedance Magnification Selection" to the correct position? You might want to check the nominal resistance across the two input terminals for each side (e.g. set VOM to Ohms, and touch the red and black terminals for left and then right speakers). You should see a resistance around 5-8 ohms. Any lower than this, and your amp is seeing a short circuit and kicking in the safety circuit to prevent damage to the amps.
I didn't see any answer to this...

I need to check with hifi shop I do my Business with and ask them. I did buy the niles speaker secector from them. I have talked to other people in the business and they have all said when you are pushing that many speakers you should have an amp that can push it. My wire als is 14 guage direct buriel out in the yard and 16 guage on the deck.

twmackey said:
I need to check with hifi shop I do my Business with and ask them. I did buy the niles speaker secector from them. I have talked to other people in the business and they have all said when you are pushing that many speakers you should have an amp that can push it. My wire als is 14 guage direct buriel out in the yard and 16 guage on the deck.

The Niles speaker switch - if setup correctly - prevents the massively low parallel impedence from being seen by the amp. The only problem even if you have a WHIMPY amp is that the volume would be low. A bigger amp can drive more volume and could handle lower loads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The receiver is really not a amp, so it may not take the of all those speakers. But a dedicated amp capable handing the ohms and wattage is probaly what I need. The Niles SI 2130 amp can handle the load.

twmackey said:
The receiver is really not a amp, so it may not take the of all those speakers. But a dedicated amp capable handing the ohms and wattage is probaly what I need. The Niles SI 2130 amp can handle the load.
I agree that the receiver is totally incapable without the special speaker switch... But with it (setup correctly) it will not see the massively parallel load.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.