Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upsizing Cartridge Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Upsizing Cartridge Filter

I currently have a 75 sq ft cartridge filter (Jacuzzi CFR75) that works fine. I am debating on convertng it to be a 150 sq ft model after reading some of the post on here and pool forum. I currently cycle two cartridges and one is due to be replaced so the cost to changeover would not be that much extra. I will need to purchase the larger dirtcatcher that the filter sits on as the only additional piece. All other components of the filter are the same.

I know that the major pro will be doubling the sq ft of my filter material but are there any cons to this I am not seeing?

A link to the filter is Filter Components

Thanks to all
    24'x54" Sharkline Matrix by Wilbar International, 15,200 gallons (2015)
    Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter 1 hp two speed pump
    Solar Heat with Goldline GL-235 Controller
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 28669 SWG
    TF100, SampleSizer, and Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Other than what you already know (cost, effort, etc.), I can think of no downside to increasing filter capacity. Essentially, everything will improve.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you are smart to upsize.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I have a 420 sqft cartridge and I am glad I did. After a year without cleaning it, I have no PSI rise. I could probably go two years but once a year is not that bad. I would go as large as your budget permits.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditto for me. My cartridge filter is over-sized (it's a 4 cartridge unit) and I only clean it once a year with no pressure rise. It makes maintenance SO much easier and I'm so glad my pool builder did this (I didn't know anything about pools when we had one put in).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"