Estimate cost of solar

Jan 21, 2011
We are looking to put a new IG Vinly pool, probably about 18x36 or so. I have a covered porch that is about 40 feet long and lots of black roof. I am still in the planning stages and wonder what panels would cost? If not right away for the future (if may decide where my equipment goes). Do you have to remove them in the winter, or just drain them? I will not have any waterfalls or fountains, and probably would go with a 3/4 hp pump, but would I need more to get me up the roofline (12-14')?

Any other considerations or 'ah ha' after you installed yours would be welcome.
Thanks.

My pool is similar in size. I have 192 square ft of panel and have about $1200 in the system. It is enough panel to easily maintain the pool in the upper 80s most of the season. No automation.

You can often find used panels/systems on craigslist. At least here you can.

Much cheaper than paying a company 3-4 grand to install a system.

My 500 sqft setup is probably going to end up around $1200.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

I did my own solar install (see tag at bottom for panel type) for just under 2k. We leave them up all year. You do have to drain them before the first freeze so they do not freeze up and burst, but if set up vertically, this is easily done by leaving the diverter valve open for about 10-15 min. Basically long enough to drain the panels. Also, consider getting a variable speed pump as we have discovered that having the vs capability allows us to better dial in the proper flow rate and is especially useful as the pool filters get dirty with use and the flow per rpm decreases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.