brown then green now brown again

Jun 19, 2012
After filling with well water the water turned brown. then after 4 days of messing with it adding hth metal control it got kinda clear, but was kinda green so i assumed algae. then this morning i added hth shock and swim. after i got home it was brown again. what to do next? which one do i fight first? i've read that adding too much chlorine by shocking will cause it to turn brown again, but how do i know i've gotten rid of the algae if its brown?

dont have a test kit yet, just strips. I have started adding conditioner to get cya up. started using bleach this afternoon, added 60oz per the pool calculator. my cya, according to the test strips is zero. now my free chlorine is 10. I will check it before dark to see if i need to add more or not. I put a sock in the basket skimmer with 16 oz of conditioner in it. not sure how long it will take that to dissolve. i think i waited too long to start adding chlorine, i was trying to get rid of the metal and was told i had to have zero chlorine for it to work best, the water was green then, when i started to shock it the water went brown again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.