Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: am i turning over enough water???

1. Back To Top    #1

am i turning over enough water???

i think i did the math correctly but according to my flow meter my pump is moving 45GPM. i run my pump 24/7. again if my math is correctly. i did it this way 45 X 60 (45 GPM times 60 min) thats 2700 GPH, so times that by 24 (hours, i run my pump all the time) thats 64,800. thats JUST MORE THAN ONE turnover a day, i thought we were supposed to turn over atleast twice a day.

or is my math completly wrong. im a science, history, english guy.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Your math looks right.

The usual design goal is to build a system that is capable of two, or preferably three, turnovers a day. But you normally only actually run the pump long enough to get one turnover per day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Your math looks right.

The usual design goal is to make a system that is capable of two, or preferably three, turnovers a day. But you normally only actually run the pump long enough to get one turnover per day.
    so that goal was not made with my system then, as it takes 24 hours to turn over the entire pool, what fixes this then???

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    a full-rated 1.5 hp pump should be capable of at least twice that GPM. What's your filter pressure?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Vince,

If your 1.5 hp pump can only produce 45 GPM, you must be pushing your water through a survival training course. My 0.5 hp pump produces 44GPM and I run my pump 1 turnover a day (3 hrs). Thanks to my shed from the 80 degrees weather whole year round.

Vincent.
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    a full-rated 1.5 hp pump should be capable of at least twice that GPM. What's your filter pressure?

its an old pump, and its about 80 feet from the closest return. there are some pipes, not a mess load.