Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax measuremants

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax measuremants

I have a silly question?

I bought a 4# box of Borax and only need according to the calculator 16oz by weight will raise my PH by what I supposedly need to bring it to 7.5.

Question is how do I measure 16oz by weight? I know 16oz is a pound so is that how I figure it out or do I add it by the cup full?
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

2. Back To Top    #2

The density of 20 Mule Team Borax is roughly where 1 ounce weight is 1 ounce volume. 16 ounces weight of Borax is actually around 15.3 ounces in volume or about 2 cups.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Most dry pool chems are measured by weight. An inexpensive kitchen scale is a good investment for your pool equipment.

4. Back To Top    #4
    My wife said that tonight waterbear (dont let her know she was right) How long after I add the Borax can I recheck the PH level?
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    give the pool a GOOD brushing to mix everything, make sure it's all dissolved, then wait about an hour or so.