45lbs shock, still consuming FC

The first 3 days I was out there on a lawn chair checking constantly it never dipped below 10 but once. The last few days I’ve been checking morning, 3pm and sunset. Something isn’t adding up here.
Got a picture of the pool now? You added a lot of cal-hypo. Are you sure it was all cal-hypo (and not non-chlorine shock)?

Testing and replacing FC three times a day is not going to clear the pool. We are coming up on a weekend. Test and replace every 2 hours. Watch your filter and clean/backwash when pressure rises 25% from clean. You will see progress. Take pictures of the steps every couple hours and compare.

Reactions: newdude
Got a picture of the pool now? You added a lot of cal-hypo. Are you sure it was all cal-hypo (and not non-chlorine shock)?
Definitely cal-hypo. I bought 3 boxes of HTH cal-hypo from Costco 15lbs each box and have gone through around 25-30 gallons of 10-12% liquid over the last week also. My reagents are all new, aside from the 0003 to test for CC

Definitely cal-hypo. I bought 3 boxes of HTH cal-hypo from Costco 15lbs each box and have gone through around 25-30 gallons of 10-12% liquid over the last week also. My reagents are all new, aside from the 0003 to test for CC
Worth a try asking. Are you vaccuming to waste or to the filter? I think Id go to waste.

Worth a try asking. Are you vaccuming to waste or to the filter? I think Id go to waste.
I went to waste when there was something to vacuum, but I’m walking around in the pool to brush everyday and there’s nothing on the floor, it’s squeaky clean, I’m essentially just vacuuming just to do it at this point. I left the pump off overnight the other day and nothing settled either. See my dilemma here? lol

Alright folks… my chemistry has been spot on for a week, chlorine levels maintain at night, I’m around .5ppm CC or less now, I bought 2 brand new sets of cartridges to be able to swap and clean….. and my pool is still extremely cloudy. I’ve got roughly 12-18” of clarity. The walls of the pool have rough calcium scale that’s beginning to loosen up finally after being at a PH of 7-7.2 for the last 5 days straight, I can rub it off with my hands. I’m pretty sure this is calcium clouding I’m dealing with. I’m going to relax on the chlorine levels and either let the filters do their job or raise the PH and floc if this doesn’t improve by the end of the week. I don’t see how continuing to maintain a 10-15ppm level of chlorine to burn off in the sunlight will help me out in this situation so I’m backing off on the chlorine money pit. That pool is squeaky clean. Anyone see any problems with that plan?

I had your problem last year once. It was the Cal-hypo clouding everything. Whats your OCLT? If its zero, stop adding stuff. Let the water sort out with the filter. It took 2-3 days when I had this to fix itself.

From your last post, whats your Calcium hardness? Very likely could also be that

I had your problem last year once. It was the Cal-hypo clouding everything. Whats your OCLT? If its zero, stop adding stuff. Let the water sort out with the filter. It took 2-3 days when I had this to fix itself.

From your last post, whats your Calcium hardness? Very likely could also be that
It’s finally beginning to clear up, I can see the third step and a hazy robot chumming around the ground. By Sunday it should be clear but for anyone following I stopped the slam 3 days ago when my combined chlorine dropped to essentially zero and my OCLT was almost non existent. The scale on my walls has noticeably decreased and my robot has calcium scale the size of fine sand in the basket every time I pull it up, it was probably because of the shock. My CH is around 300-325 depending on water level due to the rain lately. I’m not against cal-hypo but I’ll NEVER use that amount at one time ever again, that wasn’t smart. Aside from that everything is good, I’m happy to start the season with a reset on my CYA, last year I was struggling with mustard algae and my cya was near 100 so you can imagine the levels I had to maintain was a PITA. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support