Funniest/ most ridiculous thing the pool store has told you

Re: Funniest/ most ridiculous thing the pool store has told

I was in Leslie's and asked where the Taylor test reagents were. Dufus says, "we don't sell Taylor reagents; we just have our own." Then he points to a rack on the side of the store. I walk over, get my phenol red and r-oo3 and walk back with the Taylor names lined up and showing toward him. "Care to rethink that statement?", I said. He rang me up in silence. Fortunately, I never go there.

From the owner, not a temp kid: "Chlorine won't work in Nebraska. We have a different sun situation than places like Florida and Arizona."

crek31 said:
From the owner, not a temp kid: "Chlorine won't work in Nebraska. We have a different sun situation than places like Florida and Arizona."

Oh my... :shock: This has my vote for the dumbest thing ever said by a pool store owner.

UnderWaterVanya said:
crek31 said:

Oh my... :shock: This has my vote for the dumbest thing ever said by a pool store owner.

Would you like some dichlor or trichlor pucks with your PhosFree, Mr. Jones.

crek31 said:

How do those living in Nebraska keep their whites white???

Uttered by a pool tech while pouring a carboy of liquid chlorine into the pool in the early days of startup: "Some of my customers swear by bleach but I don't recommend it because it adds other stuff to your water."

cubbybeave08 said:
Toadlife...what is funny is that they all know me at my pool store...I think in the work room there is a picture of me with a red line through it. I may be over reacting because every time I am in the chemical section standing next to a customer with a shopping cart full of stuff...two or three sales people come out of no where to pounce on the customer so I don't "HELP" them instead.

Time to start wearing a TroubleFreePool T-shirt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

crek31 said:

I will offer a guess, from aquarium days, that the tap water or well water there contains nitrates. Great for growing green plants in aquariums, not so good for pools that do not want green growing things. Add some phosphates, another essential nutrient, then keep chlorine low.... tick tock. Not sure where the third essential nutrient, potassium, comes from but could be added from wind driven dust I'm guessing.

Not me...the wife was told this when they were trying to get her to have a liner installed
....instead of me DIY'ing (ongoing)

"You need to fill the pool right after the liner is installed (IE water truck), the water smooths out all the wrinkles"

I guess you just cut the return lines/skimmer & stairs in really fast before the water drains before you can tighten down the gaskets etc
Either that or they cut it all in before filling the pool
That would explain the wrinkles......
They offered to giver her a discount on labor if she signed up right away :grrrr:

crek31 said:

That is the funniest thing I have read on this site.....OMG !!!!!! I was going to move there next week, but not now knowing that their sun is different.......LOL

My condo complex was having problems with being a skim milk color (gross). I measured the CYA and it was over 200 and measured the FC and it was around 38. I told the condo mgmt, they took a sample to leslies who measured CYA at 45 and fc at "5+". "everything in the normal range". The tester even signed the test results which the condo manager scanned and posted to our website.

Apparently some kid just pooped in the pool so they said they have to completely drain the pool and sanitize it (WTH??) so at least the CYA will go down to normal levels :)

Swampwoman said:
Uttered by a pool tech while pouring a carboy of liquid chlorine into the pool in the early days of startup: "Some of my customers swear by bleach but I don't recommend it because it adds other stuff to your water."
Possible. IF - the bleach is fragranced, improved formula, etc. Of course, sounds like this pool tech didn't know that plain old everyday un-messed with, unimproved bleach is a perfect source of pool chlorine!

Makes me want to go to the pool store, just for the laughs! (haven't been to one all season.) I feel kind of bad, as I used to work with the owner's wife, in a retail store.

Oh, it is really hard. Time before last I followed a guy out into the parking lot to talk to him.... not really a cool thing to do. I did restrain myself the next time. I will admit I hovered at the testing table to eavesdrop on the lady there, but quickly walked away when I saw how creepy I might seem.

Now that my daughter will be getting an embroidering sewing machine for Christmas, I can have her make me a white lab coat with a TFP tag on it. I really really want a lab coat to protect my clothes from bleach. Now that we have kids at the houses on each side, and have lost some trees to the drought, I cannot strip down to my undies to dose the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.