No longer cloudy and I think I'm on the right track...

Re: Cloudy but I think I'm on the right track... Newbie

UnderWaterVanya said:
What is a good way to try to check for sand? I don't see any in the flow. Is there an easy way to attach something to catch and filter the water? I have two eyeball returns on the stairs with high flow rates. Could I put a tube sock over one of them with a rubber band or something like that?
That's exactly what I would do.

duraleigh said:
and I'm unclear how to remove the top
remove those screws holding the top on. If you have not done much DIY stuff, you may be better off hiring a pool guy to come help you and learn from him.

Doh! I see that now. I didn't know how those valves were built until I viewed this video:

[youtube:259h9uos]RDlCSDKx-E4[/youtube:259h9uos].

I have a lot of DIY experience but little pool knowledge so simple things like this are confusing at first.

Once I pull it - I assume I would be looking at the gasket, o-ring, washer etc and making sure these are not damaged. Is there a high chance of damaging the parts if they are close to breaking? If so I assume having the "Go Kit" or rebuild kit handy would be worthwhile - or is this me being overly cautious?

The only leaking I see with respect to the multiport is when I switch modes to backwash I see a tiny amount of water at the bottom around the main ring connecting the assembly to the filter body - I have not tried to tighten this or change anything since it is a very small leak and I'm unsure of the condition of the sealing o-ring and didn't want to risk damage until I was ready to take on a possible rebuild.

There are no return valves only suction valves. The pump and filter are above the waterline - will removing the multiport valve cause air to enter the system? If so is there a good tutorial on repriming or a way to stop the water from flowing out?

Richard320 said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
What is a good way to try to check for sand? I don't see any in the flow. Is there an easy way to attach something to catch and filter the water? I have two eyeball returns on the stairs with high flow rates. Could I put a tube sock over one of them with a rubber band or something like that?
That's exactly what I would do.

Thanks - it's always good to know that an approach has experienced users' approval. Better to not reinvent the wheel...

I have changed the title of the thread to reflect latest status.

As an absentee pool boy with two kids and a recently moved father-in-law who has projects at both old and new houses and my own projects - I have yet to get the time to confirm the condition of the multiport or the presence of sand leaking into the pool - but the pool is clear and well balanced.

My plan is to get around to socking a return with a small stocking, and then this fall when it's closer to closing time I'll examine the filter, the multiport, the laterals, etc.

Today's numbers:
FC:8.0
CC:0.5
pH:7.2 (Typically 7.5-7.8; Lowered to 7.2 on purpose - aerating now to bring back up)
TA: 80 (Originally 180, then 120, now 80!)
CH: 280 (Originally 350+, then 330, now 280)
CYA: 50? (Originally 55-60)

Pool is still clear, Polaris is working great, pulling a 1-2 TBS's of sand out a week along with other junk.
I'm thinking about adding Borates at some point... not 100% sure yet.

TA & CH & CYA have all had some changes due to backwashing and filling and rain and drain. No major effort to pull these down this way. TA may have been mismeasured originally - I was going too slowly in my testing. After changing test methods it dropped to 120 rather abrubtly. Then from there it was adjusted down using 11lbs of Dry Acid (slowly a 1lb - 2lb's at a time). I'll probably switch to MA since I just bought 2 gallons today - nearby Leslie's DOES NOT CARRY MA or Liquid Chlorine - they say there is some local ordinance. I got the MA from Home Depot - $13 for 4 gallons - is that good?

Anyway... thanks to all of you for your various efforts to help. I didn't start with a swamp, I was pretty clear to start - but you've helped me learn and keep things going. I have some mechanicals to take care of as things wind down this year - but the overall outlook on the pool is excellent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.