Chlorine

May 24, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Ok guys,

I've got a question... I've read through pool school and a few other posts and it looks like most of you guys reccommend a liquid chlorine. I just bought my house and have ran through the few remaining chlorine pucks that the previous home owner left me. So, it's time to get Chlorine. I live in the midwest and was wondering the best brand/place to get it. I could go back to my pool store and get a bucket of pucks again to be safe but it looks like you're all pointing me towards the liquid chlorine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can get 10% or 12% liquid chlorine at the pool stores or hardware stores. Or just get 6% bleach at and grocery store. Many people use the Walmart brand.

Just have to check prices for the best deal.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Look for the best price on bleach with no additives, the store needs to have good turnaround because old bleach gets weak. Walmart is usually one of the cheapest for the GV brand. Now to the possible real issue, what are your numbers especially CYA? Do you have a good test kit like the TF100 listed on this site. Hearing the previous owner left pucks leads to the concern of high CYA level which will make it tough to maintain enough chlorine to do the job. These CYA concerns are one of the top reasons for using liquid chlorine and the only way to drop CYA is to replace some water. BTW, the pool school link on the top right is a must read.
:goodjob:

MikeInNH said:
Look for the best price on bleach with no additives, the store needs to have good turnaround because old bleach gets weak. Walmart is usually one of the cheapest for the GV brand. Now to the possible real issue, what are your numbers especially CYA? Do you have a good test kit like the TF100 listed on this site. Hearing the previous owner left pucks leads to the concern of high CYA level which will make it tough to maintain enough chlorine to do the job. These CYA concerns are one of the top reasons for using liquid chlorine and the only way to drop CYA is to replace some water. BTW, the pool school link on the top right is a must read.
:goodjob:
What he said!

lowerk3:

If you belong to a warehouse club (Sams, Costco, BJ's, etc.), you can find good deals on bleach. I get mine at Sams or Costco - sold in a package of 3 182 oz jugs (546 oz total) of Clorox 6% for about $8.50. The product turnover is high, so you are assured of getting a fresh product. Make sure you get bleach without additives such as fragrances or thickeners. Plain bleach is what you want.

Some pool stores sell higher concentrations of liquid bleach, so that may be an option for you as well (not an option for us here in DFW area for some reason).

One advantage of the 6% concentration over higher concentrations is that it has a longer shelf life. Still, I try to use mine up within a month - I date my packages.

Also echo MikeInNH's concerns regarding potentially high CYA due to previous owner's use of pucks. That's what happened to me. After testing, I had to do a partial drain & refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.