How much hth super shock n swim OR 6% bleach should I use???

Re: How much hth super shock n swim OR 6% bleach should I us

You need to know your CYA level, and use the CYA/Chlorine chart in Pool School to determine the correct shock level for your pool.

Then test your current chlorine level, and use the Pool Calculator to determine the correct amount of 6% bleach to raise chlorine to the shock level.

From there, how much you'll need to maintain it will depend on a great many factors, including but not limited to how long it takes, amount of sunlight, nature of the problem you're addressing.

I know lol I was trying to avoid all of that, I only have a drop test kit for Chlorine and pH. I think the pool has been up for a couple of weeks and I havent shocked it yet, the water is still clear but I guess I'd be shocking for prevention. I only used one 3" tablet and I've been adding a little 6% bleach here and there, but the tablet is almost gone now, and I figured if there isn't much chlorine in the pool, now would be a good time to shock. I'll have to go to Walmart and see if there is a better or more detailed test kit and I could have better numbers of how many and what chemicals are in the pool. Thanks! I'll definitely go back to Pool School and check that all out soon!

Walmart isn't going to offer the kind of test kit you need to test everything.
You need to look at getting the TF100 or the Taylor test kit's that are listed in Pool School. The TF100 is highly recommended, and is a great investment.

Just buying a random kit and guessing what you need to add wont really help you much.

autumnrstarr said:
I know lol I was trying to avoid all of that

Sorry. Your protestations and explanations not withstanding, you can't really calculate how much of something your pool needs until you know what it is you're trying to accomplish.

If you're properly maintaining your pool, knowing the CYA level and using the chart to keep it at the proper levels then you don't ever need to shock unless there is some sort of problem. Adding chlorine daily is maintenance, not shocking. ThePoolCalculator.com will tell you how much to add, but you must first know your CYA and use the chart to determine what your range needs to be.

As said above, buy the TF100 and also get a speedstir (awesome addition). Makes testing very simple. Using these tools will save you tons of money.

I disagree with some comments here. With only 2100 gallons, you can drain and refill several times before paying for the tf100. The FC and ph kit you have is fine. If you've added one tab so far, your cya level is around 15. Add one more, then switch to bleach. Assume you have a cya level of 30 at that point.

Test using your drop kit. If your test shows any color, go swimming. If its clear add 3 cups bleach. Maintain your ph as suggested in pool school. The puck you've added brought your FC level to around 23, which is one reason you've had no problems to date.

If it ever goes green.....drain and add two more pucks.

Leebo said:
I disagree with some comments here. With only 2100 gallons, you can drain and refill several times before paying for the tf100. The FC and ph kit you have is fine. If you've added one tab so far, your cya level is around 15. Add one more, then switch to bleach. Assume you have a cya level of 30 at that point.

Test using your drop kit. If your test shows any color, go swimming. If its clear add 3 cups bleach. Maintain your ph as suggested in pool school. The puck you've added brought your FC level to around 23, which is one reason you've had no problems to date.

If it ever goes green.....drain and add two more pucks.

+1

I think many of us often overlook the small temp pools which have the "luxury" of a quick drain and refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.