new AGP with terribly high TA levels

flyingvranch

In The Industry
Mar 14, 2008
Huntsville, Texas
First I want to say that I have been lurking here for a while and I have learned much and want to thank all those that help us!

My pool is filled with well water (near Houston) and with nothing added the water was way down on PH to somewhere below 7.0
I have since added some HTH brand PH Up and got the PH up to 7.4

Now I am testing my TA and I used a total of 23 drops of solution that my test kit reports 230 PPM!
I am aerating vigorously now and added about a quart of acid which dropped my PH to 7.2 but my TA is still the same.
I am unable to determine how much acid I would need to add to get my TA down to a reasonable level. And just what would that reasonable level be?

My pool is 7700 gal.

Many thanks in advance!

The ideal TA depends on what source of chlorine you are using. Bleach 70-90, SWG 60-80, trichlor 100-120. You can run a bit higher than that as long as your CH levels aren't too high, but I would try to get it down to 150 or lower at a minimum.

The procedure for lowering TA is to add acid to bring the PH to between 7.0 and 7.2. Then aerate the pool until the PH has increased to somewhere around 7.8. Then repeat, adding acid again etc., as many times as needed to bring the TA down. Each cycle will only lower the TA a little, it may well take quite a few cycles to get TA down to where you want it. If you have time you can lower the PH back down to 7.0 - 7.2 more frequently (ie when the PH has only risen a little). The more frequently you lower the PH back down the faster the whole process will go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.