Leaking light fixture

Earl42

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2011
Wichita, KS
So, When I opened my pool this year, the light didn't work. Upon further examination, I observed a dredded smiley face of water inside of the light. :grrrr:

Today I pulled the fixture out and determined it was an American products fixture. I bought a new outdoor halogen flood bulb to put inside as well as a new seal from the dreaded pool store. The seal certainly seems to be the right size, but upon putting it back together and reinstalling it in the pool, I observed what looked to be water in the bottom of the chamber again.

Now to my questions, Does the seal go around both the glass and the lip of the can? Or just on the glass and pressed against the can by the C ring? Second, should I use some silicone sealant or something on the seal? Third, will this bulb be ok? It is basically what goes in a typical motion sensor light and was the highest wattage bulb I could find (the original bulb was 400W, this is 120W)? Fourth, and much less important, is there a color changing LED light that I can get that screws into a standard bulb socket?
Thanks for reading.

I am not sure about the seal, but I have my doubts about that bulb working well. That said there are certainly LED color bulbs ... I put one in my pool. It is called Color Splash 3G around $250. You change the colors by toggling the light switch.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.