Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New AG build.... need advice on bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

New AG build.... need advice on bottom

I'm finally putting in my AG pool and I'm kinda torn between going with a sand bottom or a foam bottom. Anybody have any opinions based on experience with wither one of these?

It's a 12 x 17 oval. I'm thinking of either going to put in 2" of sand or 1 1/2" of sand and 1/2" happy bottom with a foam cove. Or should I just put foam with no sand? I'm really not sure what's the best way to go here.
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

2. Back To Top    #2
    I bought it for my pool and I like it! I even went with the coves and wall foam too. I think it has even helped in eliminating foot prints but that's just my opinion. I've had both and the floor pad is pretty cool.

And you defiantely need sand, maybe not as much if it were just a sand bottom but you should put sand down.

HTH.

O, and it is get's really crazy heavy if it get's wet and you need to move it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Well I finally found somebody local that had the stuff for a reasonable price and in stock so I got it. I have a couple of good warm sunny days to start next week weatherwise so I want to try to get my liner in on one of those. I was suffering from paralysis by analysis on the foam bottom issue so I didn't have it lined up like everything else when I started prepping the area for the pool.

I'm planning to just put down enough sand to smooth out the ground real nice (maybe an inch or so) and then put the pad on top of that and then the foam cove. Does this sound like the right way to go about it?
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

4. Back To Top    #4
    A nice smooth base will make everything lay much nicer. Make sure there are NO stones or protrusions of any type even close to the surface because even with sand and a foam bottom the weight of the water will push very hard down and you won't believe what you can feel through all that. Stuff gets pushed up from the ground more each year.

Good luck. Um, pictures???? You WERE planning on putting some on as soon as you start, RIGHT?????????????
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hopefully I'll be able to post pics tomorrow.
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go