Main Drain Cap

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

My main drain is capped with a spring loaded cap that I was told was to prevent ground water from entering pool. It's actually an equalizer drain to skimmer. I'm aware that a main drain is not necessary, just trying to figure out what I have.

My question:

Is this drain still functional and can it be used through the skimmer?

Thanks in advance!

Gary R.

The spring loaded cap is a hydrostatic valve and it actually allows ground water to enter the pool so that if you drain it, it won't float.

There is also a pipe ran from the MD to the skimmer. There should be two holes in the bottom of the skimmer. One goes the the MD and the other goes to the pump. You use a diverter (there should be one in the bottom of the skimmer) to adjust how much flow you get from the skimmer and MD. It also shuts off the skimmer if the water level gets too low and draws strictly from the MD.

Thanks Dave, I did see on another thread that there may be a diverter with the skimmer but it's missing. I tried running a vac hose between the two port but nothing from the main drain. The pool person pressed down on the hydrostatic valve and it seemed to operate. Also had ran a snake to the main drain as far it would go. It stopped at the hydrostatic valve as best as I could tell.

Maybe I should just forget it!

Thanks,

Gary R.

Update:

I did determine that the main drain/equalizer line is clear with a drain king. Blew some debris into the pool.

New question does the diverter need to be specific to the skimmer brand (Pac-Fab I think) or could I simply run a short 1-1/2" hose between the equalizer line and the skimmer suction port if I wanted to draw from the main drain.

Thank you!

Gary R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.