Another green swamp for you guys

Kinda hard to tell with the phone pics, but it definitely getting better! The green is not near as dark as it is in the picture.

28d14abd.jpg

Ok. Here are some numbers. I hope I'm doing this right....

This was around 6pm

FC- 6
CC- 1.5
pH- 8.2 < (this was much more pink than the chart)
TA- 80
CH- the color never changed from pink. I think I added 30 drops of the R0012 with no color change before I gave up. I did the test twice with the same result.
CYA- 0 (the water never changed any color. stayed completely clear during the test.)

I hung a sock with 2lbs of CYA in front of the return. The sock emptied in about 20 minutes :lol: . I think I should have used some of the wife's hose, but don't want to get her riled up. :rant:

I have vacuumed the bottom and will hit it again in the morning as well as brushing the walls. I just added 96 oz of bleach before calling it a night.

I will post some more numbers in the morning.

Thanks everybody for the help.

nitronick said:
Ok. Here are some numbers. I hope I'm doing this right....

This was around 6pm

FC- 6
CC- 1.5
pH- 8.2 < (this was much more pink than the chart)
TA- 80
CH- the color never changed from pink. I think I added 30 drops of the R0012 with no color change before I gave up. I did the test twice with the same result.
CYA- 0 (the water never changed any color. stayed completely clear during the test.)

I hung a sock with 2lbs of CYA in front of the return. The sock emptied in about 20 minutes :lol: . I think I should have used some of the wife's hose, but don't want to get her riled up. :rant:

I have vacuumed the bottom and will hit it again in the morning as well as brushing the walls. I just added 96 oz of bleach before calling it a night.

I will post some more numbers in the morning.

Thanks everybody for the help.

To save reagent when doing the CH test follow these rules

"If you expect that your CH level is extremely high, you can do the test so that each drop is 25, instead of 10, to speed up the process and save on reagent usage. Use 10 ml of pool water, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and multiply the number of drops of R-0012 by 25 to get your CH level."

If your CYA level was at 0 before you added the CYA, the 2 lbs will only get you to about 20. If I was you, based off your gallons listed I would add another 1.75 lbs to get your CYA level to 30, but try and see how your FC level holds before you add more CYA. CYA granular can take up to about a week to fully show.

With your CYA level and shocking you need to have your FC level to at least 10 and the 96 oz will not be enough.

Have you been using the pool calculator to determine how much bleach you should add?

mynewpool said:
To save reagent when doing the CH test follow these rules

"If you expect that your CH level is extremely high, you can do the test so that each drop is 25, instead of 10, to speed up the process and save on reagent usage. Use 10 ml of pool water, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and multiply the number of drops of R-0012 by 25 to get your CH level."

If your CYA level was at 0 before you added the CYA, the 2 lbs will only get you to about 20. If I was you, based off your gallons listed I would add another 1.75 lbs to get your CYA level to 30, but try and see how your FC level holds before you add more CYA. CYA granular can take up to about a week to fully show.

With your CYA level and shocking you need to have your FC level to at least 10 and the 96 oz will not be enough.

Have you been using the pool calculator to determine how much bleach you should add?

Thanks for the CH tip. I saw that but I guess I glossed right over it.

I'll hang some more CYA in the sock tomorrow morning.

As for adding chlorine.....I have been guestimating since my test kit didn't get here until around 3pm. I was also trying to get the Crud vacuumed from the bottom of the pool.

I at least now have some CYA in the pool. I did have some chlorine when I last tested, so I seem to be beating the algae. I just threw the 96oz in to get it through the night. Hopefully it will be close to the previous test result when I get out there tomorrow morning.

I will run the tests again in the morning and plug those into the pool calc and go from there.

Good night. Thanks for everyone's help.

Here's the numbers from this morning.

FC - 6.5
CC - 1
pH -8.2<
TA -70
CH - 425
CYA - didn't register

So, what do you guys think?

I've got an issue with my pump to try and sort out before I continue on with this. Plus, the wind is blowing like crazy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, im kind of concerned. I've been holding the pool at shock level since Saturday. I understand this is going to take a week or two. My water doesn't look like it is changing anymore. It is cloudy, and it still has a slight green tint to it, but I think most of that is stained walls and floor. I see an awful lot of dirt. I am vacuuming and brushing the walls and floor. Im beginning to think my filter is not keeping a lot of it. I have rinsed off the elements every night. The first night it was nasty. Last night wasnt nearly as bad.
I would guess I probably need new filters. I am sure these are at the end of their life. I sure don't want to drop $450 if I don't have to.

First thing: I like your tag line. I may have to steal it! :mrgreen:

Have you inspected the elements well, making sure there are no tears in them?

I think you are cleaning the elements way too often. You should only clean them when the pressure rises about 25% above clean pressure.
What is your clean pressure?

Feel free to use it. I have a million of them.

Here's the problem in the filter. I don't know what the "clean" psi should be. The wife and I moved in this home in january, and this is my first time with the equipment.

With the current filters, the psi after cleaning is around 15. Before cleaning the psi is 18-20. I have not closely inspected for tears, but it is usually kinda dark when I do it.

Holy macaroni! :party: :whoot: I can see the bottom of my pool! It's still kinda murky, but I can see it.

I am definitely gonna have to get new filters. Started vacuuming the dirt from the floor and I could see the deep end clouding up.

Here's my numbers from this morning....

FC - 6.5
CC - .75
pH - 7.5
TA - 75
CH - 375-400
CYA - ? ( I have added 4 lbs over yesterday and today. The dot seemed to be fading, but the water level was all the way to the top? Hopefully this will eventually go up.

I would wait a week before testing the CYA again. Just assume that what you put in is in there. If you've added 4 lbs. total, your CYA should be around 30 ppm (assuming there wasn't any in there to begin with). Keep your FC above 12 as much as possible, and your pool will keep clearing up.

Do you have a recent picture? We all love pictures.

Why do you think you need new filters? Its normal for dirt or dead algae to accumulate on the bottom of the pool when shocking. When you vacuum the bottom, are you vacuuming to waste or through the filter? If you are vacuuming through the filter, is the water coming out of the returns clean or cloudy? If its cloudy, you need a new cartridge for your filter, if its clean the filter is doing its job.

I am vacuuming thought the filter. I have a hard time seeing it come through the returns, but there is a waterfall at the deep end, and I can see the dirt coming from there.

The wife had a long conversation with the next door neighbors, and learned quite a lot about the former owner. Basically, this was party central for his kids, with not much being done to the pool.

I'll wait until tomorrow morning to get a pic, since I just stirred up all of the dirt. :rant:

One more thing....

How much water loss should I be experiencing? I went out last night to test my water, and the water was down to where it was right at the bottom of the skimmers. lots of gurgling going on. :lol:

I sure don't see it hitting the ground anywhere, so I assume it is evaporating???

How much water you lose depends a lot on water temperature, air temperature, humidity, and wind. Here in MN if I have a week where its sunny every day, I may lose an inch of water over the week. In OK, where its probably hotter and drier, you may lose more.

One way to see if your pool has a leak is to fill a bucket with water, place the bucket on the steps in your pool so that it is submerged, mark the water level in the bucket and in the pool. The pool should lose water at the same rate as the bucket. If the pool loses more water than the bucket, you probably have a leak somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.