How to stop water flow to change the pump?

Jun 3, 2012
Louisville, KY
I've learned a ton reading through pool school and various threads over this past weekend.

The pool I'm inheriting with the home we're purchasing needs a new pump and filter (...as in the current pump will not power on). I'm confident in my ability to plumb the pvc up as I've worked with pvc fittings many many times in the past. What I cannot figure out is how to plug up the pool in order to disconnect the current pump and install the new one. There is no valve on the current set-up (I'll be adding one during this process) and the pool is full of water.

School me! :mrgreen:

Isn't the pump above water level? If so, no water will come out.

Mine is right at water level. I had to plug the hole in the skimmer (main drain is plumbed to the skimmer also) to keep the water from flowing out when I re-did my pad.

jblizzle said:
Isn't the pump above water level? If so, no water will come out.

Mine is right at water level. I had to plug the hole in the skimmer (main drain is plumbed to the skimmer also) to keep the water from flowing out when I re-did my pad.

It seems so simple now that I read it. Good old gravity. :)

Also, is the main drain being plumbed to the skimmer the standard set-up for most pools?

I think it used to be ... hard to say.

I wish the main drain and skimmer were plumbed separately to the pad because:
1. You have more control over where the water comes from
2. You can drain the pool using just the floor
3. You have more pipe area to suck through so the head loss is less and you get higher flow rates

EDIT: My current pool was built in the mid 1970s. My last pool I had built in 2002 (when I knew nothing). Both had the single main drain plumbed to the single skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.