2 gallons of clarifier, now chlorine won't take.

dfmcapecod said:
Thank you everyone, I did spend quite a bit of time seeing if this topic was covered and did not turn up a very detailed thread. I did believe that the competing oxidizers was my issue but was looking for the chemisty grade answer.
Best I can find for you: http://www.troublefreepool.com/best-way-to-reduce-chlorine-level-t13163.html#p148736

dfmcapecod said:
If at all possible, can anyone tell me how much chlorine will be required to eliminate 2 gallons of hydrogen peroxide that have been dilluted in 10,000 gallons of water?
If it is 3% Hydrogen Peroxide like in the link above, then 2 gallons of 6% bleach.

It is supposed to be 27.5% peroxide, as stated in their ads:
"BioGuard SoftSwim C Oxidizing Clarifier & Shock for use in SoftSwim & Baquacil treated pools non chlorine, Splashes non chlorine, Poly Clear non chlorine,
SoftSwim® "C", Oxidizing Clarifier
Concentrate 27.50% Hydrogen Peroxide, formulated with Patented ClearGuard® Stabilizer, enhances water clarity, Liquid, Does not affect pH. "

Using Linen's info, you would need upwards of 18 gallons. Since you have put in about ten, around eight more to get to a point of getting a reading. I would guess the final amount would depend on any oxidizing the peroxide has done since its introduction and the amount of chlorine when introduced.

Buford said:
Using Linen's info, you would need upwards of 18 gallons. Since you have put in about ten, around eight more to get to a point of getting a reading. I would guess the final amount would depend on any oxidizing the peroxide has done since its introduction and the amount of chlorine when introduced.

Thank you all, I will increment towards eight more gallons and see where I'm at.

Here's what Jason wrote about it a while back.
Yes, hydrogen peroxide neutralizing chlorine is supposed to be linear. 2.6 oz of 27% to neutralize 1 ppm of FC in 10,000 gallons.
So 2 gallons (256 oz) would neutralize about 100 ppm of FC or about 16 gallons of 6% bleach in a 10,000 gallon pool.

Buford said:
"BioGuard SoftSwim C Oxidizing Clarifier & Shock for use in SoftSwim & Baquacil treated pools non chlorine, Splashes non chlorine, Poly Clear non chlorine,
SoftSwim® "C", Oxidizing Clarifier
Concentrate 27.50% Hydrogen Peroxide, formulated with Patented ClearGuard® Stabilizer, enhances water clarity, Liquid, Does not affect pH. "

Just to add one more thing here in case anybody looks at this in the future and sees a complete indictment of clarifier. Clarifier in and of itself isnt bad. You ust need to know what to use and when to use it. There is usually no need for it. I have, on occasion, used it with good results when i had a pollen problem I could not clear.

HOWEVER, you must know what your adding. For a chlorine pool, DO NOT USE the BioGuard SoftSwim C Oxidizing Clarifier & Shock. It's for use in a non-chlorine baquacil pool. As you can see, use in a chlorine pool is a big no no.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.