Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Power questions for SWCG

1. Back To Top    #1

Power questions for SWCG

Hi All, I am running power for my AGP and have a few questions about SWCG.

1. Should I run SWCG on the same circuit as the pump? (My pump is 120v and 8.8 Amps max running on a 20A GFCI circuit)

2. Should the SWCG be on a timer or always powered? I'm planning to run my pump 12 hours per day on low speed.

Thanks everyone!

Jason M
    15x30 AGP built myself in 2008: 3/4 hp 2-speed Waterway Supreme. 300 lb Pentair sand filter. 160 SqFT solar.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Jason,
    The SWCG should be wired to the timer so it is only on when the pump is running. I just installed one on my pool this weekend. You need to make sure the unit will work on 110 mine was capable or either 110v or 220v operation, but it came from the factory wired for 220v. Not a big deal to change but something to be aware of.
    Bill
    18' x 36' Freeform IG Gunite with 7' spa, Super Blue DiamondBrite, Pentair 1.5 hp circulation pump, Pentair 2.0 hp spa booster pump, Pentair Triton II Sand filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Jandy Laars LX 250k btu NG heater, TF-100 test kit from http://www.tftestkits.com/

3. Back To Top    #3

Most domestic SWG's only draw around 1-3 amps, so it will be fine along with a 8.8 amps pump on a 20 amp circuit. But yeah, check if it's capable of operating at 110V.

Posting your SWG name and model would help

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Strannik
    Posting your SWG name and model would help
    I havn't purchased one yet. I'm wiring the pool now, and wanted to plan ahead for when I do purchase one.

Jason M
    15x30 AGP built myself in 2008: 3/4 hp 2-speed Waterway Supreme. 300 lb Pentair sand filter. 160 SqFT solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well some chlorinators are capable of controlling the pump, some have internal timers, so the final setup would depend on which model you choose in the end. However 20 amp will be enough to run both your pump and any domestic SWG.

Hope that answers your query.

Cheers,
    Taras