Pump Reconfiguration

jeremy8886

In The Industry
May 23, 2012
Hey Everyone,
I am looking to get some help with reconfiguring my pump layout. After having various pool and landscaping companies (waterfall install) work on the equipment over the years it is a mess and does not work properly. The particulars:
Pool is approximately 50,000 liters
2 Pumps (One runs waterfall)
Sand Filter
Gas Heater
Salt System

Suction:
One Skimmer
Two Floor Drains (Into One Pipe)

Pressure:
Two Jets
Waterfall

I have attached a photo with labels to help explain where I am at. As you can see its a bit of a mess. The waterfall pump is triggered by a switch and only runs when we are in the backyard, otherwise it is off. The main pump is on a timer and runs for about half the day. We have issues with the main pump drawing air in through the waterfall pump, when it is not running, as there is no check valve. This creates an air lock and strains the pump. Ideally I would like to have the main pump draw through both the skimmer and drain, and the waterfall draw off only one of these, (likely the drain). What configuration should I use to make this work the most effectively. Also does anyone know what the "Not Sure" line is?

Thanks for any help ahead of time. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• pumpconfiguration.jpg
    pumpconfiguration.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 89
I almost commented on this, but decided to let others ... apparently no one else did either. Pretty cramped area with no real straight pipes.

What happens when you open the "not sure" valve?

I can not see any easy way to reconfigure it. The only thing you really need is a check valve in front of the waterfall pump and then your main pump could pull from skimmer and drain ... but you have no room for anything.

You could put a check valve on the discharge of the waterfall pump and that'll stop the main pump from sucking back through the waterfall line. The only caveat to that is that it'll be putting a small suction on the shaft seal of the waterfall pump but it shouldn't be enough to cause the faces to open.

I suspect the "Not Sure" line is/was for a suction side cleaner. There should be a port in the pool wall somewhere.

Yeah, it is kinda cramped. I am considering reworking the fence around it to the left. I can gain an extra foot or so by dropping it back.

Thanks for the idea of putting the check valve on the discharge side for the pump. That would allow me enough room to do it.
Does it matter if I run the waterfall off the skimmer or the floor drain?

Why do you think you need them on the returns?

The clear top Jandy / Pentair check valves have a lot lower head loss than some of the in line check valves. And they are rebuildable ir required.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Do you ever run the water fall without running the main pump? If you do then you may need a check valve on the discharge of the main pump but since the returns are for that pump are all under water it shouldn't be a problem. I'd try it without it first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.