New DIY build in Oklahoma

ChrisNC - I have a gentle slope but at the high end from top of coping/concrete I am 5" above grade.

here are some more pics, I could not keep the boy and wife out, they soaked all day.

Attachments

• DSCN1077.JPG
    DSCN1077.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCN1078.JPG
    DSCN1078.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCN1079.JPG
    DSCN1079.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 358
8corneflakes - I am hoping within 2 weeks, I think it will take me a good week to form it up and lay the rebar. I plan on renting a skid steer this weekend to do some grading, backfill, and spread the sand. The dog in the picture is a 200+ lb old English mastiff with huge paws that collects more mud than my boots and I can leave my boots at the door, he has to bring his in. Needles to say I want my house back and my yard. I still have to run the electric and plumb the pad but it rained so much I can’t do anything for at least two days. I had to stop filling the pool until I can finish plumbing the returns and the light niche.

Question - What did you guys use to plug the hole/conduit the light cord & ground wire go's through in the niche.

8corneflakes - I kind of thought that might be the way it was designed, it is just hard for me to process the electric line in conduit intentionally filled with water. I was also curious why they also had threads in the hole. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That makes sense although that is the only thing I did not pressure test, I ordered a rubber plug with two holes in it for the ground and the light cord.

some more pics I finished the equipment pad.

Attachments

• DSCN1085.JPG
    DSCN1085.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN1086.JPG
    DSCN1086.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN1087.JPG
    DSCN1087.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 202
Well all that work plumbing the equipment and it turns out the pump motor was bad, I struggled (I thought I lost my wiring ability) with it for hours until I took the motor off the shell and saw a big dent in the bottom of the motor housing. I think it must of messed the shaft up because it would not turn very easy. I was lucky enough to find a temporary motor to get my water circulating.

So I call royal pools, as I am so frustrated do to the fact I had to return half my wall panels, the pool poll, all the coping, as they looked like a forklift rolled over them. That set me back almost two weeks. So anyway they say they will call back 4 hours later I go check my email and this is what I find. A email to me, no phone call.

Kurt

We are only able to file a damage claim for items that are specifically listed as damaged on the delivery ticket. Normally you could file a concealed damage claim but I do not know if the freight company will allow that since it has been 2 months. You can contact them and ask for a concealed freight damage form. If they allow you to file the claim they will reimburse at least a percentage of the repair cost. You can look in the yellow pages for your area for an electric motor repair company that may be able to fix the motor. We would be willing to order a motor and have it sent to you at our wholesale cost if you can swap out the motors.

They are saying now the will fix the motor if I send it back to them after a few frustrating emails so I guess we will see what happens but I will keep you all posted so all the DIY people will know how ROYAL POOLS customer service is.

This is one of the problems with these DIY kits the average home owner will take at least two months to finish just working evenings and weekends, so you find problems with parts and equipment that come up later in the build and to late to return.

I will post some pictures of my intermatic subpanel with timer in the morning, it seems to be kind of a one stop subpanel with everything in it and was quite easy to wire up for the DIY people.

Attachments

• DSCN1090.JPG
    DSCN1090.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN1091.JPG
    DSCN1091.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN1092.JPG
    DSCN1092.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 143
Wow sorry to hear about that. We have not started our build yet, hopefully next week but my experience with royal so far has been outstanding. They sent me the wrong pump and allowed me to upgrade to the eco star at a very good discounted price. In the end though you will have saved thousands, know everything is how you want it, and have the self satisfaction of doing a complete diy.

I am wishing we went complete diy right now as the guy digging the hole and doing the pool crete and liner install is behind because of heat and now it has been raining everyday for over a week. 1 start date was the 1st week of july now is supposed to be 1st of next week but i think it will be closer to august because of this weather. I swear we had no rain the whole months of may and june now it rains every day.

GL on the rest of your build, you got the hardest things out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kponytail said:
8corneflakes - I kind of thought that might be the way it was designed, it is just hard for me to process the electric line in conduit intentionally filled with water. I was also curious why they also had threads in the hole. Thanks.
There also should be a bonding lug in there as well that needs to be connected. I know you said there is no permit or inspections required for this install but, I would suggest reading up on Article 680 of the 2011 NEC to make sure the bonding is set up properly on the pool. NEC 690.26 specificaly speaks to the Equipotential bonding of pools. 680.2 spell out the requirements for instalations of wet niche light assemblies.

Nice looking job so far. :goodjob: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.